Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Most gauges not working. (1988 Iroc Z)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro, Holley 600 series.
Engine: 350 w/350 TPI heads
Transmission: 90+ 700R4
Axle/Gears: not sure
Most gauges not working. (1988 Iroc Z)

Hello,

Most of my gauges are not working. I have power coming into the cluster. I figured out why my speedometer wasn't working but not the others. My RPM gauge is at 70 before I turn it. When I turn it on it just spikes. The oil gauge does the same. I think my battery guage is working fine, and my water temp doesn't work either.

I dont expect a universal answer to fix all these but im willing to listen on how to inspect these to find out why there not working. For example how do I tell if its my gauge messed up or the wire it self. Any tips, really any help at all will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:49 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 355
Transmission: 5 speed Manual
Axle/Gears: Stock
Re: Most gauges not working. (1988 Iroc Z)

I just went through this process with tons of posts, and lots of trouble shooting. For me I found out today my gauge cluster was bad. Half my illumination lights didnt work was the clue. My tach is still pegged however, (not a stock engine, maybe thats why).
Old 09-11-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jerome Casi
I just went through this process with tons of posts, and lots of trouble shooting. For me I found out today my gauge cluster was bad. Half my illumination lights didnt work was the clue. My tach is still pegged however, (not a stock engine, maybe thats why).

I could take a pic of my gauge cluster for you? I think some of my little lights may be blown so ill just replace them but my check engine lights & fasten seatbelt light works. Im going to clean the little copper connectors right now maybe this will help. Then I guess im gonna have to track the wires to where they go and see if there all set up right that should be fun. My illumination lights work ( thats when your gauges light up right?) if so yeah they all work. It looks cool to because this car is old I dont know, I just love the way it looks haha.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:08 PM

Car: 86 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305 V8 Auto 4bbl Quad Carb.
Transmission: 700-R4 Auto

Originally Posted by xxZ28xx
Hello,

Most of my gauges are not working. I have power coming into the cluster. I figured out why my speedometer wasn't working but not the others. My RPM gauge is at 70 before I turn it. When I turn it on it just spikes. The oil gauge does the same. I think my battery guage is working fine, and my water temp doesn't work either.

I dont expect a universal answer to fix all these but im willing to listen on how to inspect these to find out why there not working. For example how do I tell if its my gauge messed up or the wire it self. Any tips, really any help at all will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Sorry I don't reall have much as far as any suggestions for your issues, but I'm curious how you fixed your speedo, mine is not working. On my 86 trans am I believe the tachometer runs a wire to my distributor, if you have similar setup you might check that wire.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:01 AM

Thanks ill be sure to check it, and i didnt fix my speedo yet but I found why it wasn't working. I followed my cable back to my transmission and for some reason it looks like its snapped off. Heres the funny part Its short, doesn't really have much room to move around, so I cant find where it goes. There is know place for it. But I took pictures of the underneath of my car with these wires hanging and someone said my one wire looked like the electronic version of the speedometer from a year 90+. Thats a little weird to me.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transmission: AUTO

i heve a question!
i am about to replace my cluster, my tacho it's stuck all the way to the right, however, when i turn the ignition, it moves from left to right, clockwise i guess! weird!Most of the lights are out so i decide to go to e-bay and i purchase a used, cluster, my question is, how hard is it to remove, desconect, and reconect all the conections. I just don't want to take all apart and have a hard time putting together the "new" cluster.Any advice??? thanks
Old 09-20-2011, 06:34 AM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

Originally Posted by adilson delima
so i decide to go to e-bay and i purchase a used, cluster, my question is, how hard is it to remove, desconect, and reconect all the conections.
Remove the old cluster and plug in the new.

For 82-89 Camaros: Remove the black cluster bezel. Once that's removed, look in the rectangles that house the e-brake light, check engine light, etc., and you'll note a, I believe, 10 mm nut on each side of the cluster housing. Move the seat back all the way. Drop the lower dash panel for access to the speedo cable and its clip (this clip holds the cable to the speedo head). A long-shanked, flat-bladded screw driver is perfect to trip the clip. A flash light/trouble light is indispensible. Once the cable is free, so is the cluster. Lowering the steering wheel, and/or dropping the steering column a fraction will help in the removal but is not necessary. To protect from scratches use a bit of masking tape on the steering column. Seat the new cluster and button up.

JamesC