Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

fuel gauge is jacked up,and also a headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 camaro rs
Engine: 350 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
fuel gauge is jacked up,and also a headlight problem

ok so first off is the fuel gauge,it has been messed up for a few years now and it really bothers me so i want to try and fix it this summer,ok so heres the deal a few years ago my fuel gauge worked fine then suddenly it went retarded on me and the gauge pegs all the way up past full as far as it can go when i turn the car on but when everything is off it drops all the way back down as far as it can,anyone know what the hell is up with this thing?

second is headlights about 2 years ago i had a security system installed by bestbuy and i love it,clean install and everything,shortly after my high/low beam switch broke and my low beams burnt out so i was stuck with high beams all the time so i got projector housings and had a local automotive electronics shop install the housings with an HID kit and just rig the low beams to a toggle switch for now,well needless to say the HIDs worked perfect up untill a few days ago so now i have no headlights,anyone know what have gone wrong? should i just pull all the wireing and redo all of it? thanks
Old 05-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: fuel gauge is jacked up,and also a headlight problem

Fuel gauge issue is going to be something wrong with the sender - will have to drop the tank and fix/replace the sender. Know that a new replacement sender/float setup is about $200 - so don't drop the tank without cash in hand. Dropping the tank requires a almost full day, as the rear axle has to come down and out of the way (without removing the rear brake line), the exhaust has to come out, etc. - it's not a hard task, but very time consuming. If you are in the north, I'd get under the car every day for a few days beforhand and spray everything that gets disconnected with PB Blaster to get the rust loosened up before you attempt the job.

Headlights ... since you've already had someone else "rig" this, we won't know how to help you with it - I'd get rid of all that "rigged" stuff and fix the stock wiring and headlights so they work as they are supposed to.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:48 AM

thanks camaronewbie as for dropping the tank,have you seen what some people are calling a "trap door" in 3rd gens? its where you cut a section out of the trunk shelf over the fuel pump big enough to get the pump out,would you attempt this?,i thought about doing that because my exhaust is a solid pipe from y-pipe to tips so i cant remove it to get the tank out
Old 05-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

You can, I have never done it - I just drop my tank.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 941camarokid
thanks camaronewbie as for dropping the tank,have you seen what some people are calling a "trap door" in 3rd gens? its where you cut a section out of the trunk shelf over the fuel pump big enough to get the pump out,would you attempt this?,i thought about doing that because my exhaust is a solid pipe from y-pipe to tips so i cant remove it to get the tank out

I have heard this to...I have the same issue and I may go this route and cut a door given that it can be easily covered which it is.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:53 PM

thanks for the input guys,mrrman i agree it can be easily covered and if you make a plate to go over it so fumes don't get in the car and you do everything right it can cut the time of changing the fuel pump down to a fraction of the time,i might attempt the trap door this summer,if you beat me to it mrrman let me know how it turned out and if you can let me know the measurements and what kind of tools you used,be safe man and don't blow yourself up with sparks