Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Use alternator for SES light?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41
Use alternator for SES light?

I'm going to switch to a MegaSquirt from my factory ECM. I'm trying to "fake" that I still have the factory parts, for the most part, installed (to keep the inspectors off of my back!). As such, I'm trying to find a way to turn the SES light on when the engine is not running. I have yet to receive a definitive answer on the MS forums on the subject. So, I got to thinking that maybe I could basically use the the alternator's voltage regulator to ground the SES light, as is used with the charging problem indicator in the idiot light cluster. Can this be done with a gauges cluster? Yes, I do have the L wire in the alternator connector.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Use alternator for SES light?

Originally Posted by Maverick H1L
I'm going to switch to a MegaSquirt from my factory ECM. I'm trying to "fake" that I still have the factory parts, for the most part, installed (to keep the inspectors off of my back!). As such, I'm trying to find a way to turn the SES light on when the engine is not running. I have yet to receive a definitive answer on the MS forums on the subject. So, I got to thinking that maybe I could basically use the the alternator's voltage regulator to ground the SES light, as is used with the charging problem indicator in the idiot light cluster. Can this be done with a gauges cluster? Yes, I do have the L wire in the alternator connector.
well, best thing to do is leave the stock ecu in place to handle this and take control over the fuel and the spark and whatever else your engine has (vvt, any intake runner valves, boost control, etc)

play your cards right and you might be able to pass the plugin test as well.

if you really insist on getting rid of the stock ecu, an additional output that triggers a relay when RPM > 0 would do the trick. with ms3x there are plenty of outputs, but if this is important enough, it could be done with ms2 or ms1, once you've taken care of the engine functions.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Supreme Member

1. MSII V3.0 going into a dead stock 1227302 case and using the wiring set up for a 1227165 and the MS to 165 adaptor. All non-essential stock ECM functions (datalogging, torque converter clutch, EGR and other emissions hardware, neutral start input, etc) have already been deleted from the harness.
2. No sniffer or plug in test in WNY, only around Long Island
3. <------ NOT an OBDII car!
Old 03-13-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Maverick H1L
1. MSII V3.0 going into a dead stock 1227302 case and using the wiring set up for a 1227165 and the MS to 165 adaptor. All non-essential stock ECM functions (datalogging, torque converter clutch, EGR and other emissions hardware, neutral start input, etc) have already been deleted from the harness.
2. No sniffer or plug in test in WNY, only around Long Island
3. <------ NOT an OBDII car!
cool, did not know about wny emission test thing, good to know.

there should be some extra outputs, or you take the fuelpump output, and use a relay with a disconnecting pair of wires and run your check engine light to that. it won't be on for couple of seconds at first, but once the pump primes, it will trigger the light once it is off.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Supreme Member

I see what you're saying... Use the NC side of the fuel pump relay as the switch for the light. I hadn't thought of that .

Although, I was kind of hoping to use the SES light as sort of an alternator health indicator (light on for not charging, light for overcharging, etc).
Old 03-13-2011, 04:31 PM

yean, I'm not sure what you would need to pull that off, iisnt there a stock light like that already ?
Old 03-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Supreme Member

There's a stock light, but not in a gauge cluster (as in full gauges and no idiot light for the battery and what not) produced before somewhere around 1995. There's supposedly a resistor in the cluster, but mine just seems to have empty holes where the thing should be on the circuit film on the back (between C2 12 and C1 9). I do know that the stock system on the L circuit, before 1990, uses a resistor wire somewhere between the dash and the alternator. Still have work to do on the harness, I'll have to find it.