Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

rear defrost burns up switches as soon as its turned on

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8 V6 mpfi .40 over
Transmission: 700R4 stage 2 shift kit
Axle/Gears: 3.42 factory
rear defrost burns up switches as soon as its turned on

i noticed shortly after getting my car the rear defrost didnt work at all no light on the switch or nothing i pulled a few switches from the local junkyard but discovered the minute you turn it one the car bogs for a second as the light in the switch comes on then out in a few seconds and all that can be smelled is burning electrical from the switch only checked and all connectors are hooked on the hatch with no breaks in the wires im goor with electrical usually but this one has me confused any one have any ideas
Old 02-23-2011, 09:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Defrost Accost

There is a short in the circuit from pin D of the switch that includes the purple wire with a WHITE stripe traveling to the left strut on the hatch.

Disconnect the
black wire going to the spade terminal on the left strut to determine if the strut is causing a short, or if the short is due to the wire coming from the switch traveling along the body, is shorting along the way.

Also the circuit breaker labeled
PWR ACC located in the fuse block is defective or has been jumped.

Happy Racing!

If People Drove Any Slower They’d Be Going Backwards

Old 04-20-2011, 10:38 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z 100% Original
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Re: rear defrost burns up switches as soon as its turned on

I have the same problem Skribb. I already went through 2 defrost switches, they keep blowing and I smell that electrical burning too. Let me know when you diagnose and fix your problem, and I will do the same when I fix mine.

I'm going to do what NINA said and concentrate on the Purple wire with the white stripe along the left rear strut to see if I can locate where the short it coming from. I replaced the breaker fuse for the rear defrost and power door locks so I know that its not defective.

I'm going to assume its a short on one of the rear struts on mine because the previous owner said he had the struts replaced.
NINA ~ When I Disconnect the black wire going to the spade terminal on the left strut to determine if the strut is causing a short. How do I fix that strut so it doesn't short anymore? How do I check that wire for a short? With what kind of tester?
I suck at electrical! Right now I'm just doing a visual on the wires.

Last edited by TrueIroc; 04-20-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:47 PM

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8 V6 mpfi .40 over
Transmission: 700R4 stage 2 shift kit
Axle/Gears: 3.42 factory
Re: rear defrost burns up switches as soon as its turned on

sorry for delayed resolved reply on this been busy getting car prepped for paint and working on other project cars. i discovered that my purple/white wire was fine disconnected that and checked it and found that one strut was grounding out and shorting it after 2 different sets the problem is fixed after i no longer need the defroster thanks to spring but one less issue to worry about lol. now am on to rewiring my cooling fan thanks to novice mechanics rigging it. goodluck with your defroster trueiroc currently im slowly taking the old struts apart to find what caused the issue if i find a quick good fix i will post it up