Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

91 firebird lighting issues (all)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 firebird lighting issues (all)

ok guys here's one for ya. when I got my bird a year ago I noticed that a hot wire from the bat to the fuse box was installed from the previous owners. That wire allows the interior, headlights, tail lights, driving lights, dash lights all to work. unplug it and nothing works.
whats been replaced since I got it....
headlight assemblies, tail lights, all bulbs, dimmer control unit, headlight control modual. I have gone through every inch of wiring in the engine bay and through out the car except behind the dash.

I am at a loss here I thought that with correcting the issues that it had that the extra power wire would not be needed. I disconect it, nothin no lights at all.
Any ideas as to what I may have missed to correct the issue?
thanks for the imput
marcus
Old 12-18-2010, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '83 Z/28
Engine: 350 TBI waiting to be test fired
Transmission: Stock 700R4 with TCC switch
Axle/Gears: 3.23 non posi
Re: 91 firebird lighting issues (all)

Just Finish Going Thru All The Wires, Check Behind Your Dash Around Your Fuze Box, You Might Find Some Toasted Wires, It Could Explain The Extra Hot Wire In The Fuze Box From Before. If There Is An Aftermarket Stereo Make Sure The Dash Light Wire Isnt Mistaken For A Ground Wire, loL Ive Done That Before.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41
Re: 91 firebird lighting issues (all)

That wire you unplug (that causes everything to go dead) is probably looped around the back of the fuse panel from the light switch fuse. Which means that there is probably a broken or cut wire between the firewall connector and the fuse panel part of the harness and that you'll not only need to drop the fuse panel but slit open the taped harness to find it.

It's either that or one of the fusible links on the starter solenoid is fried (there is one under there that is attached to another... One of the 2 is probably bad). Start at the fusible link and work your way under the dash. If you can find a diagram of the C100 firewall connector, you're looking for terminal G5. You will, of course, probably want to find out what blew the link in the first place (if it's blown).