Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

rewiring my engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rewiring my engine bay

i bought a 1986 berlinetta from a kid from my school ive put a new motor and trany in the car but the wiring is such a hack. the car original had a v6 and then was "converted" to a v8 so the wiring is all hacked up. and it kills me to look at the engine bay with all that crap. useless connectors, wires going no where and hacked connections what are some of my options? im not sure that a harness from another Camaro will plug into it so i figured Im only running alternator and power steering so id look at my connections follow them to the source and make a new wire then what ever is left hanging around cut. what this even work? i mean in theory it should
Old 10-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: LQ9/L92
Transmission: 4L60E
Re: rewiring my engine bay

harnesses vary quite a bit from year to year, engine to engine, etc. I purchased the Helms repair manual for my car just for wiring reasons like this; its well worth its weight in gold when it comes to wiring issues. From there, you can trace down the wiring from the main C100/C207 connectors and know what can be pulled and what needs to stay. If you're lucky, your setup may even be in the list here:

http://www.austinthirdgen.org/index.php?pid=19

good luck! wiring's a pain to play with.....
Old 10-22-2010, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey thanks for the info i really appreciate it
Old 10-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 372 Likes on 283 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

I'm ALMOST positive that your 86 2.8 V belt car used 3 harnesses in the engine bay......

Headlight
ECM
Engine

If your car was converted to a V8 than there is a good chance that it is using a vacuum advanced distributor and aftermarket Carb. ( That's just how most ThirdGens got "converted" ! ) If the engine is using a Vac-advanced distrib and a non CC carb than the ENTIRE V6 ECM harness can be removed from the car.

If that is true than your car will only need 2 harnesses under the engine bay

Headlight
Engine

The Engine Harness and the Headlight harness plug into the body at the drivers side firewall. The ECM harness leads from the passengers side of the dash - and into the passenger side of the engine bay. Start under the dash on the pass side and snake that ECM harness back up and into the engine bay, Then remove it completely.

* If the car is an automatic: You should buy an aftermarket TCC switch in order to retain Torue Converter Lock-up. The lock-up is controled by the ECM and once the ECM & harness is removed it will not lock-up. Aftermarket kits are about $60 - some are far more expensive so shop around !

It's possible that your 86 2.8 has only 2 harnesses under the hood. ( It's been a long time since I've seen an 86 V6 V-belt ! ) I'm pretty sure it used 3 harnesses but maybe not. If the ECM harness and Engine harness are "combined" into one large harness than your best option is to find a 84-86 V8 Carbed engine harness ( it would be plug-and play to your car.) I believe Chevy changed to the 2 harness set-up in 87 with the serp belt V6.

All your gauge wiring ( including the speedo ) is located on your ENGINE harness. Don't screw with that one and you will be OK !!