Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

wiring ecm to carb

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring ecm to carb

ok so heres the thing. i have a 83 z28 with a 305 4-bbl. i got the whole engine re-built and went away with allllll of the polution stuff and ecm. thankfully i left the ecm and just cut power wire to it. but now for the problem. i live in jersey and need to pass emissions. (when i bypassed the pollution i figured i could just buy a sticker but moneys tight now) now i need to rewire part of the system so that my mixture control solenoid will work and keep down the emssion. i pulled off my edelbrock carb amd but the q-jet on. i dont have my connectors for either the mcs or tps so im just running 12g wire from were i cut it out of the harness. so, what im wondering is with the car off key on. how much voltage should be at the mcs with the engine cold. also should i here that click noise they like to make? also there is a vacuum sensor that runs off one of the same wires that go to the tps, and it too like the tps has a resistor in it. will not having that vacuum sensor make the tps mess up since the total resistance of that little circuit will not be the same?
Old 10-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers
Re: wiring ecm to carb

Originally Posted by imboredx0504
ok so heres the thing. i have a 83 z28 with a 305 4-bbl. i got the whole engine re-built and went away with allllll of the polution stuff and ecm. thankfully i left the ecm and just cut power wire to it. but now for the problem. i live in jersey and need to pass emissions. (when i bypassed the pollution i figured i could just buy a sticker but moneys tight now) now i need to rewire part of the system so that my mixture control solenoid will work and keep down the emssion. i pulled off my edelbrock carb amd but the q-jet on. i dont have my connectors for either the mcs or tps so im just running 12g wire from were i cut it out of the harness. so, what im wondering is with the car off key on. how much voltage should be at the mcs with the engine cold. also should i here that click noise they like to make? also there is a vacuum sensor that runs off one of the same wires that go to the tps, and it too like the tps has a resistor in it. will not having that vacuum sensor make the tps mess up since the total resistance of that little circuit will not be the same?
Since you went and cut up everything, you may be better off trying to buy an entire new harness from someone hereon the site. They can be had for about $65 -$100 or so depending on the condition. That would probably be WAYYYY easier than trying to figure out what you did with the wiring. Also, since you put a new motor in it (assuming it's larger than stock) you are going to have to tune the carb to the motor to help it pass the emissions. Lastly, you may...if they do a visual, put the cat and A.I.R. tubes back on/back together or it won't pass that part even if it passes the sniffer check.