Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Headlights on but wont flip up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Firebird Formula WS6
Engine: 305 tpi lb9
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.45
Headlights on but wont flip up?

My headlights have been noisy since I bought the car 7 years ago. Within the last year they intermittantly will not come up but the headlights are on (pointing down) and the motor wont run.

Last week the left motor kept running and wouldnt come up all the time but the right one would. So I took it apart and the gear was fine but bushings inside gear were in peices and dust, (suprised it worked at all). I ordered the repair kit from top down solutions (nice kit with gaskets grease bushings and motor bolts that break off). I was able to drill them out and re tap the threads.

Just re-installed the left headlight and it works great other than the lights wouldnt flip up but they were on the first couple tries (In the past I had to pop the hood to turn them up but just the hood popping made them come up.) Now If they dont come up I have to pop the hood and push it closed (my girlfreind laughs since sometimes I try tapping the lights and nothing, then I pop the hood to turn them up they go up themselves)
Im guessing the right side has some kind of mercury switch, or contacts that may be burnt. I have a haynes manual but that is vague (the schematic doesnt show much).

Now the right side is starting to keep running but I still think I have two problems.

Can anyone point me to some good information or ever had the same problem?
Old 09-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 145 Likes on 79 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am
Engine: LSA
Transmission: T56 AWD
Axle/Gears: 8.8 4.10
Re: Headlights on but wont flip up?

Burnt up relay near the booster is one possibility. Are you sure its not hitting the hood since they come up with the hood popped?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Firebird Formula WS6
Engine: 305 tpi lb9
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.45

I don't think they are hitting the hood, there are no scratches beside stone chips. I looked at the schematic again and it looks like the relay is in the headlamp door module. There is a relay and switch shown inside the right headlamp in the haynes manual.
Is the module the right headlamp assembley itself?

I don't see why they would have the relay inside a actual stand alone module since they fail and the whole module needs replacement.

It only does it after sitting for a few hours once they open they continue working fine untill it sits again.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:47 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27

The bushings inside the gear within the headlight actuaqtor need to be replaced. I make a kit to repair your headlight actuators, TDS 209280 under the electrical parts section of my web site.

Lon