Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

another headlight motor wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another headlight motor wiring

Ok so here is my problem. 1985 T/A originally a tpi car. the car was switched to carb which was shortly followed by a hacking of the wiring. Now niether headlight will go up or down, but the lights do light up. The motors worked fine before the hacking of the harness so I believe that they are fine.

I tracked the wiring down and all of the wires that operate the motors seem to be intact. The relays also seem to be functioning properly. It looks like the power for the motors coming from the switch are yellow and white and they go all the way to the firewall so I am assuming that they were never harmed

I didnt have a multi meter handy today but I was wondering where I should be checking for power?

Also is there a place where I could run a jumper to check the motors ?
Old 04-11-2010, 11:44 AM

Re: another headlight motor wiring

well I worked on this some more this morning and I am getting no power to the motors at all. I jumpered the motors and they worked fine.

I looked for a fuse for the motors under the dash but couldnt find anything. So where is the fuse for the headlight motors located?

My fuse box is hard to read but i looked on a diagram and still didnt see a fuse for the motors.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:18 PM

Car: 1986 Firebird Trans AM
Engine: LG4
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by 8550ta
Now niether headlight will go up or down, but the lights do light up.
Did you try to manually raise them with the ***** and then they stayed up? Or are you just saying that they will not go up and did not try manually raising them?

There are a couple fuseable links in the harness between the driver's side wheel well and the front of the car, perhaps they got tugged on too hard or were hit by something and damaged?
If those links are gone then your lights will turn on but not raise. However they will go down if you raise them manually then turn the light switch off on the dash.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:05 PM

Car: 86 trans am
Engine: 355 sbc
Transmission: Th-350
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt w/ 3.73's

hi I basically have this same problem....i have a 86 t/a carbed 355 and my headlights go up normal but then only the driver side will go down I've checked 2 of the 3 relays "the two on the inner fenders I checked them both they worked fine on drivers side the one next to radiator I'm not shure about" ok on to the one next to the radiator I was reading in a forum on here that when the light switch is off in the car the 2 blue wires on that relay would have some amount of voltage not shure what amount he had said....anyways I get voltage their when the switch is on not off........one more thing how do I check the motor from its plug thanks hope you can help me out