Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

4th gen Clock Spring in 3rd gen Column?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2002 Z28
Engine: 5.7 Stock
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: Stock
4th gen Clock Spring in 3rd gen Column?

Okay... been doing a lot of searches on TGO.

I want put a 4th gen steering wheel in my 91 FB. But not just for looks!!! I want the steering wheel controls to work (I have a 4th gen radio) and I want the air bag to work. So I can't just attach the 4th gen wheel to my 3rd gen column. Wiring issues.

I've been researching replacing the 3rg gen column for a 4th gen, but there is the fitment issue and I can't find a conclusive answer on whether the turn signal etc. wiring will work.

So.. the next choice is... will a 4th gen clock spring go in a 3rd gen column?

That way I can have a functioning air bag and can make my own harness to go from the clock spring to the radio.

Thoughts?
Old 11-15-2009, 06:38 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt - 2.77
Re: 4th gen Clock Spring in 3rd gen Column?

You wont have a working air bag by putting a 4th gen steering wheel or column in a 3rd gen car. You will need sensors, air bag module, harness and related parts. Not worth doing or unless it came equipped in the car from the factory which a 91 did. I doubt that the clock spring will fit in the column either since the columns are different. There's more things deal with to get radio steering wheel contols to work in the car also. Overall to me, not worth doing. Could be lots of problems.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Banned

Thanks jermdm... would anyone else like to contribute?

I just received a 4th gen steering column, it looks so similar to the 3rd gen they could be interchangeable (other than the output shaft being longer, I read about that)...

If it turns out I can't install it, I would still be interested in putting the 4th gen clock spring in the 3rd gen column... I really want my airbag and radio controls working
Old 12-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Banned

Well I've now got a 4th gen clock spring in my 3rd gen column. They are a slightly different shape on the outside perimeter but it still fit. I meant to take a picture of the two springs but I forgot!!!

Well now to get the wires hooked back up...
Old 12-28-2009, 10:12 AM

I hate to ask this... but is there any chance you could test the air bag out to be sure it'll work?

I have been wanting a different wheel but I want to keep the bag, my stocker wont look fight in my all black retro style interior anyway.

I know taking a bat to the front end of your car and setting off the bags proabably wont sound appealing but if you could atleast sheck the computer for any malfunction codes I would apreciate it.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ls six
I hate to ask this... but is there any chance you could test the air bag out to be sure it'll work?
Hmmm... I have no idea how to do that... I don't have any diagnostic equipment and don't really have access to any... I suppose the next time I have it inspected I could ask to see if there are codes and let you know... but all I was planning to do was hook the cables back up and make sure the "INFL REST" light in the cluster goes off... that would be good enough for me...
Old 12-28-2009, 10:54 AM

You can find a how-to on the forum to show you how to pull any codes using a paperclip but I whould be satisfied enough to try it my self if you report that your light went out.

Mine has been on since I bought the car so I guess I wouldnt be any worse off even if it didnt work but I really would rather not die if I can help it and I was taught a healthy respect for the srs system and it's forbidden yellow harness lol. If I could avoid ever touching the stuff I would.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ls six
You can find a how-to on the forum to show you how to pull any codes using a paperclip
i know about this trick and used it to diagnose my MAT sensor issue (code 23).found it not even plugged in. i thought you meant something more intensive. if i get any usual gauge lights i will post. cheers Tom