Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

electronics gods come inside please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: GM
Engine: v8
Transmission: slushboxes
Axle/Gears: 3.23
electronics gods come inside please.

Ok, I don't know much about add on electronics so I need a ton of help. I had a Autopage rs1000 car alarm installed in my 89 formy 350. It worked ok for a couple of days but it doesn't get driven much. After a few days, it doesn't connect. The remote says out of range but I'm next to the car. When I open the door with the key, nothing inside the car works. I can't turn on the ignition even to accessory. I turn the key and get no power. Please help because when I took the car back to the electronics store, they looked over it and said that everything was fine and that there had to be a problem with my car. It can't be because my car has had no problems in the past 3 years/4500 miles except a fuel filter and a dirty air filter. What should I look for? Where is the alarm connected that would cut the cars power? How do I override the system? How can I fix it? Sorry for the questions but my car is unable to crank or start and nothing works in the car. It kind of freaks me out.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '91 Z28 convertible
Engine: TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 posi disc
Re: electronics gods come inside please.

Do you have power to the dome light, brakes or hazard flashers?

No? You might have a drained battery or another power loss problem. Check that out.

Yes? This specific alarm has a starter disable feature so if they tapped into your ignition the wrong way (it's not like they usually know what they're doing), you won't have any power from the ignition unless you disarm the alarm. I'd talk to the installer and have them fix the alarm/wiring because it's obviously malfunctioning.

Though, you yourself can at least check the alarm fuse (close to the alarm box, probably under the dash somewhere). If it's blown, the alarm won't work and won't let you start the car.

Let us know what you find.
Lou
Old 08-11-2009, 06:49 PM

I don't have a drained battery, it was able to power an air compressor without the car running for almost 30 minutes from a thing that connects to the battery and makes it into a cigarette lighter plug. Afterwards, I placed the battery on a trickle charge and charged both batteries back up to full charge. The fuses are not blown for the alarm, the alarm box is behind the fuse box next to the valet switch and both fuses are fine. How do I go about over riding the alarm so I can get the car started and take it to the installer to have it fixed? I need it done asap before they say that I did something cause it's been to long to be under a warranty. This is the kind of thing that I don't get because it seems there is no way to reverse the alarm install and return it back to normal.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '91 Z28 convertible
Engine: TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 posi disc

Ok, you have power in the car, that's very good.

To start the car, you can completely bypass the starting circuit and just remove the shifter plate to access the shifter switch connector. Then take a decent thick wire (10-12 gauge) and run it from the thick purple wire on that connector to the battery. That would crank your engine over. Make sure it's in Park, of course and don't forget to turn the key on.

Now, if they did the job right, it will crank but not fire. If they didn't, you're good to go.

Sorry to hear that they are such jackasses, btw, but that's how businesses work nowadays, they take your money and run. Just keep telling them that their alarm stopped working and won't let you drive your car. You might have to take it up to the manager in charge and even mention a lawyer for lost wages etc.

Good luck.
Lou
Old 08-11-2009, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1990 IROC-Z 1LE
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: G92 3.23

Originally Posted by paulisgod
Ok, I don't know much about add on electronics so I need a ton of help. I had a Autopage rs1000 car alarm installed in my 89 formy 350. It worked ok for a couple of days but it doesn't get driven much. After a few days, it doesn't connect. The remote says out of range but I'm next to the car. When I open the door with the key, nothing inside the car works. I can't turn on the ignition even to accessory. I turn the key and get no power. Please help because when I took the car back to the electronics store, they looked over it and said that everything was fine and that there had to be a problem with my car. It can't be because my car has had no problems in the past 3 years/4500 miles except a fuel filter and a dirty air filter. What should I look for? Where is the alarm connected that would cut the cars power? How do I override the system? How can I fix it? Sorry for the questions but my car is unable to crank or start and nothing works in the car. It kind of freaks me out.
Take it back to them. If you don't get them to resolve your problem, demand a manager. If that manager doesn't get it done, demand his manager. Do not roll over, do not take any **** from them. Your car was fine till they touched it. Make thier *** fix it.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:39 PM

Thanks for the reply and tomorrow I will remove the shifter plate and try to crank it over. Would another red top optima other than the one connected to the car be ok to try to turn it over? Would I damage anything? Is it better to use one of my spare kinetic power batteries instead? Could I damage anything like the VATS system by doing this?

I went to the owner because I've been doing business with him for over 5 years and spent thousand with him within the past year. I both of his installers look over it and they said that it was done the way it is supposed to be done. I know it's more complicated than dropping in my 6al box but shouldn't they have gotten their stuff right the first time around? There seems to only be 8 or 9 wires for the alarm box and two to the proximity sensor and two to the dash mounted LED. What gives? It is an awesome system when it works but I need it to be working all the time and not cutting out. I only drive the car maybe 2000 miles a year if I'm lucky but it is a backup car.

I got a little CTEK battery charger thing always connected to the under hood battery when not in use and pull it off two days before I plan to drive it. Would that CTEK damage the alarm in some way like over charging or spiking voltage in someway? Thanks for the help because I know that this stuff requires knowledge WAY BEYOND my intelligence.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:27 PM

I'm glad i found this thread. My r1 rs 305 is doing the same thing in a sense. Ran fine, 12.3 at the battery and starter(also bench tested), interior lights, headlights work, but when i insert the key and turn nothing. no guages no, clicking no, no nothing. I was thinking fuzes but they are all good(even though signals and tailights not working?). The guys who had it before me put on a "carbine microwave sensor" which never really affected the security or starting of the car for years but im thinking this may be playing a role in the issue. I dont want to pull apart the column for ignition or attemt to bypass vats if this is not the issue. Any advice would be sweeet!
Old 08-13-2009, 07:08 AM

Well, I still have the problem but I think that I discovered something else. My Jensen headunit reset it self and all of the settings on it including the saved radio stations, equalizer, and subwoofer settings were all at factory settings. This happens if you disconnect the battery. Ok, so my question now is is there any wiring for the stereo that could cause this? Is there anything in the alarm system that could keep the car from getting power all the time because sometimes it does get power. There are times that the buttons do work on the remote but it still says out of range. I guess the remote doesn't always see that it works or not. I'm confused but please, help, even if you think your idea is stupid, I'm willing to try it. Post what you think could possibly maybe be the problem.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '92 T/A WS6 Vert/1956 Chevy Nomad
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 w/ Transgo Kit
Axle/Gears: 3.42 LSD

Whoa. Can't believe this thread is so recent. I just tried to start my car with an aftermarket alarm and I have this SAME issue!

It started fine a couple of weeks ago. Now I have installed a radio and put the entire interior back together. I get plenty of power with the acc switch on, but then when I turn the key ... nothing. All dash lights go out except for the CEL and the SECURITY light.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:54 AM

VATS or aftermarket alarm almost most definite
Old 08-13-2009, 09:52 PM

Yeah, I figured the vats system or the alarm that was just installed, yeah thanks, I got that, but how do I fix it? You mean there is no way of putting a modern alarm on a classic car? Hmm, I don't think so, there has got to be a way of doing it without it clunking out once in a while. It has to be dependable all the time. What is up with that?