Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

VIPER alarm problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VIPER alarm problems

Anyone have experience / knowlege of these???

My 92 convert has the VIPER alarm system that seems to have been installed on a lot of our cars. I recently had the battery disconnected for a couple weeks while doing some work and since I have reconnected the battery the alarm is going nuts.

The alarm was never programmed for passive arming, but now it passive arms alll the time and the shock sensor sets off the alarm every time I open or close the garage door.

I have the original manual which is no help, and I also searched online and printed out a more informative manual but this still tells me nothing about troubleshooting or reprogramming the passive setting.

Any ideas? (besides disconnecting the alarm or just not opening/closing the garage door!!)
Old 06-23-2009, 02:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 90 z28
Engine: 355 with hsr
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi
Re: VIPER alarm problems

you know the model number? you need to reprogram it none the less. register at The12Volt.com and you can browse alarm installation manuals. it's gonna be under "downloads" at the top header menu (middle row 2).
Old 06-23-2009, 09:16 AM

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-Bolt LSD

Originally Posted by mikeiaz
Anyone have experience / knowlege of these???

My 92 convert has the VIPER alarm system that seems to have been installed on a lot of our cars. I recently had the battery disconnected for a couple weeks while doing some work and since I have reconnected the battery the alarm is going nuts.

The alarm was never programmed for passive arming, but now it passive arms alll the time and the shock sensor sets off the alarm every time I open or close the garage door.

I have the original manual which is no help, and I also searched online and printed out a more informative manual but this still tells me nothing about troubleshooting or reprogramming the passive setting.

Any ideas? (besides disconnecting the alarm or just not opening/closing the garage door!!)
DEI, parent company of Viper, uses an external analog adjustable shock sensor on the majority of their alarms. The older models they were built in but for the most part were still analog adjustment, meaning there is a physical **** that needs to be turned to adjust it. The newer series, Responder LE, have a shock sensor with a digital adjustment which either has to be made with a Bit Writer or through some sequence through the remote. So unless you have one of the responder LE or an different shock sensor its unlikely that the battery being disconnected had anything to do with it. So like the previous message states, the model number or at very least a picture of the remote would be helpful.

As far as the passive arming goes that can either be programmed with a Bit Writer or by using the programming button which you would have to locate, it is usually under the dash but all depends on the original installer.

I would just like to add that it is highly unlikely that the battery getting disconnected had anything to do with either of these problems. Perfect example I sold my old DD in January and I pulled out a remote start alarm before I let it go. It has been sitting in a zip lock bag in my closet. Just last week I put it in my new DD and it still had every one of my old settings programmed. It is a Viper 560vx.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:44 AM

Oops forgot to include the model # It is an ald one <MODEL 300

Thanks for the info on the weebsite I will check it out
Old 06-23-2009, 10:49 AM

The remote is a 2 button, left one marked I right one marked II.

The entire interior except dash front and pad is out - there is a componenet of the alarm that was under the console, approx 3" x 4" clear plastic and only about 3/8" thick, can see electronics inside and has an indicator light in the corner - I obviously know little about these, I thought this might be the shock sensor unit.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:00 AM

300 ESP has an internal shock sensor there is a little **** on one side that you can change the sensitivity with. So there should only be one module. The way the module is mounted is directly related to how it works. Example, if its mounted firmly to a solid surface the sensor is less effective because the "shock" has to carry though out the entire car. Best mounting can be achieved by securing it to something like a wiring harness because it doesn't have to carry though the whole car.

There should also be an LED and button. If you can locate those you can disable the passive arming. Just go through the feature programming sequence outlined in the manual.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by mikeiaz
The remote is a 2 button, left one marked I right one marked II.

The entire interior except dash front and pad is out - there is a componenet of the alarm that was under the console, approx 3" x 4" clear plastic and only about 3/8" thick, can see electronics inside and has an indicator light in the corner - I obviously know little about these, I thought this might be the shock sensor unit.

Thanks again for your help.
Does the little clear module have a blue adjustment screw on the side?
Old 06-23-2009, 04:44 PM

Don't know, I will have to check. If it does I assume that is the sensitivity adjustment for the shock sensor.

When this thing was driving me nuts I disconnected all 3 wires at this module and the alarm just went off continuously - I thought if it had no power it just would not work.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:49 PM

DEI offers a back up battery for alarms, so if someone tried cutting your battery cables it would set your alarm off. If it is going off while you are diagnoseing it you could cut the wire going to the siren temporarily. The parking lights would still flash as the alarm was going off.

Or

Assuming you meant that you pulled all 3 fuses to get the alarm to quit, alarms can be tricky and pull power or ground through other wires instead of the main power ones.

Last edited by Jeff91RS; 06-23-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:07 PM

There is a white adjuster screw on the face of the module just above the small led.

As I think about this issue I do not think the shock sensor setting is the problem - setting worked OK when all the interior was in, the module was mounted on top of carpet under console - interior is out now except for driver seat so doors and floors are just bare metal with the module sitting on the tunnel so I am guessing it is just getting a whole lot more vibration now than when it was all together.

If the alarm would stop passive arming I would not have this issue so that is the real problem and apparently I need to reprogram it or just rip the whole damn thing out. I registered on the The12volt.com website and even though I sign in and it recognizes me I cannot access any PDF files to download - any suggestions on where else I can get this info?

VIPER alarm problems-viper-300.jpg

Last edited by mikeiaz; 06-24-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:37 PM

Finally got into The12volt.com and downloaded instructions.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona 500
Engine: Crossfire 305ci V8
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip/posi

any updates?