Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

help in my other GM car...lights flicker when depressing brake

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 Chevy Camaro
Engine: 2.8 L V6
help in my other GM car...lights flicker when depressing brake

My car is a 94 Grand Prix 3.1L. Two weeks ago the car wouldn't start and after days (and a lot of headache) I realized that it was the wires from the ignition lock cylinder that were bad. The theft deterrant module could not read the resistance from the key pellet. After determining the resistance level of my key, I got resistors from Radio Shack and installed it to the connector feeding the theft deterrant module. Bingo the car started up and no problems for a week.....

Now the problem..

The car starts and runs w/ no problems, but when I depress the brake pedal the lights(speedometer and rpm needles flicker) on the dashboard flicker and all the dummy lights come on. When I release the brake pedal its back to normal. This doesn't happen every time I press the brake pedal...maybe 3 out of 10 times...very random..
I checked all the fuses to see if any were blown (all good), I thought I there might be a short...
I checked the alternator output, but everything ok within the range.

The only other thing I would like to mention is that I have a bad water leak going into the trunk (i think the weather stripping is bad). Maybe this is affecting the wiring?

Any ideas what it could be? Any test to perform. You guys are the best, so I was hoping I could pick your brains.

thx for the help...
Old 03-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 convertible built 3/1/1990
Engine: Cammed 6.0L LSX
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: custom Ford 8.8", 4.10 gears
Re: help in my other GM car...lights flicker when depressing brake

Originally Posted by mikeynoclue
My car is a 94 Grand Prix 3.1L. Two weeks ago the car wouldn't start and after days (and a lot of headache) I realized that it was the wires from the ignition lock cylinder that were bad. The theft deterrant module could not read the resistance from the key pellet. After determining the resistance level of my key, I got resistors from Radio Shack and installed it to the connector feeding the theft deterrant module. Bingo the car started up and no problems for a week.....

Now the problem..

The car starts and runs w/ no problems, but when I depress the brake pedal the lights(speedometer and rpm needles flicker) on the dashboard flicker and all the dummy lights come on. When I release the brake pedal its back to normal. This doesn't happen every time I press the brake pedal...maybe 3 out of 10 times...very random..
I checked all the fuses to see if any were blown (all good), I thought I there might be a short...
I checked the alternator output, but everything ok within the range.

The only other thing I would like to mention is that I have a bad water leak going into the trunk (i think the weather stripping is bad). Maybe this is affecting the wiring?

Any ideas what it could be? Any test to perform. You guys are the best, so I was hoping I could pick your brains.

thx for the help...
Sounds like a cheapie autozone alternator. Mine does the same thing in my Camaro but when I have the alternator tested it appears fine.mine is a cheapie alternator and I am almost positive that's what the issue is.