Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

no lights at all, need help ASAP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91' firebird
Engine: 3.1l LHO
Transmission: 700-r4
no lights at all, need help ASAP!!!!!

about three months ago, the lights(headlights,dome light,gauge cluster lights,mirror reading lamps,parking lamps) would be fine all day, then at night when id hit the switch to turn them on....nothing. By that i mean there was no response from the headlights raising up or turning on....but then id lose all the other lights i noted above. They would be like that for a couple days then start working fine again. Couple weeks later same exact scenerio all over again, exactly. Changed out the headlight switch hopin that it would help and it didnt. worked fine up until about a week ago.......Now there is absolutly nothing happening. Decided to take a power tester pen or whatever and try to chase it down....started by seeing if the headlights were getting power by checking the motors and they were. Got inside, removed the headlight switch and the 5wires on the plug arent getting any power what so ever. Whats up with this?? i tried to take the entire dash off to access the entire wiring harness but seems like the majority of the dash is rivoted down or somthing and i dont want to break it( am i doing somthing wrong??) has anyone had any problems like this with firebird(lighting issues)?? any ideas on what this could be?? i need some help with this IMMEDIATELY thanks alot guys

Last edited by primer91'bird; 03-12-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:59 PM

Car: 1986 Z28
Engine: 305 5.0L
Transmission: 700r4
Re: no lights at all, need help ASAP!!!!!

dont take **** apart almost samething happend to me. I tore every thing apart in side and out almost till i asked my grandpa (big corvette owner) on my 86 it has fusable links. The links run off the starter easy as **** to fix 1/2 hour tops. the links are on the starter solenoid (i couldn't find fuseable links in advanced mabey napa carrys?) but you can replace with inline fuses mine are 25 amp i think not sure for yours becase i know there is another link for the pop up headlights. If you have a haynes it tells what to do a little more. Let me know if this works for you.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:01 PM

Car: 91' firebird
Engine: 3.1l LHO
Transmission: 700-r4

well mr. Paul.......youre the damn man. Jacked up the front end and looked up in there by the starter and found the links you were talking about and discovered that the previous owner obviously had problems with this himself, but had the skill of a 2 year old when it comes to splicing and connecting wires because the wire was hanging on by a thread (literally one single thread of wire was connecting the two together), so i stripped off a lil bit more off the cover and spliced them back together but a helluva lot better and to my instant surprise....evry single light and horn was back to working fine. Thank you for your advice and input on this. It always helps when another has suffered from a problem and has a resolution. Once again...thanx alot man.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:05 PM

Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: automatic

Similar problem, when I fixed my pop up lights they went up good, but would not go down and my gauges blew out. Replaced gauge fuse, didn't work. I tore apart the switch and found no wire or copper fitting on the second slot down in the down button. Is that my problem? NOt much with wiring so hope you can help. Thank's
Old 03-26-2009, 09:15 PM

Car: red 89 t-top ta
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt soon

you can buy fuseible link wire
Old 03-27-2009, 12:07 PM

Car: 1986 Z28
Engine: 305 5.0L
Transmission: 700r4

i looked at advanced auto for them but they didn't have the oem i guess you would say but the looked nothing liked the factory fusible link theres was basicaly a fuse holder. prolly get some at a junk yard i would guess.