Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Car Wont Start! (security light)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 corvette Z51
Engine: L98
Transmission: doug nash 4+3 speed
Axle/Gears: 3:42 posi
Car Wont Start! (security light)

Ok guess since i have had my car every once in a while the security light will come on and i cant start my car! I want it gone or i want it fixed! Is their a way i can cut a wire or something? I need help i cant be stuck some where. But it will start after a while.
thanks
kevin
Old 12-20-2008, 11:42 PM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 355ci L98 soon to be turbo'd
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi
Re: Car Wont Start! (security light)

vats?
Old 12-21-2008, 07:03 AM

Car: 1986 corvette Z51
Engine: L98
Transmission: doug nash 4+3 speed
Axle/Gears: 3:42 posi

Can you or someone else explain to me what the vatts is or are or whatever? Can i take it out do i need it? Why would it be doing it?
thanks
kevin
Old 12-21-2008, 07:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock

VAT is a resistory that is in your key. you see that little bump? that is a resistor set to communicate with the security system. that means someone can get your key lock to move, but without the resistor it will not move.
when was the last time you got a new key? resistors wear out.

i found this site http://en.allexperts.com/q/Car-Alarm...rity-light.htm hope it helps.

Last edited by tony_cogliandro; 12-21-2008 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:31 AM

Car: 66 Chevy II SS/89 iroc
Engine: 355/305
Transmission: 350 Turbo/T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

This link explains it pretty well.
http://tpiparts.net/vehicle_anti_theft_system__vats_/
Old 12-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 252 Likes on 188 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45

Originally Posted by GoodlookinRS
I want it gone or i want it fixed! Is their a way i can cut a wire or something?
There are MANY topics about this kind of situation, and I might've suggested that you do a search to find your answers for how fix the problem, except that I've gone thru this myself. And having done the searching, I learned that there's some incorrect information posted about this. So here's what you can do that WILL work, tried-n-true, and it's extremely simple:

Yes, you can just cut a wire to eliminate the VATS system, though there's actually a little more to it than simply cutting the wire. And with this "fix," there's still a way keep the VATS system active and useful.

If you'd lost the keys, then this would be more complicated, but you haven't. So first measure the ohm resistance value of the chip in the key, then get a resistor of that value. It will be one of the fifteen resistors in this GM VATS Pack:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+DEI+652T.html

Next, go underneath the dash and locate a thick(ish) orange wire running down the steering column to a small plug-in connector. That "wire" is actually just orange insulation wrapped around two smaller white wires, and those white wires are what are coming down from the key cylinder. When the key is placed in the cylinder, the "chip" in the key, in effect, "jumpers" those white wires together to let the VATS system know it's ok to allow the car to be started. So what you'll be doing is cutting those white wires underneath the dash, and connecting them together with the actual resistor from the VATS Pack, thereby disabling the system so it always allows the car to be started. You could stop right there and be done with it, or...

Rather than leave the car totally vulnerable like that, you could put a rocker switch inline with the resistor. This will allow you to enable the system by a simple matter of flipping the switch when you leave the car. Then just locate the switch in a discreet location under the dash, and you're finished.

It's very simple to do, it works, you can still keep your car safe(at least, safer than disabling the system in the PROM, where removing the ECM is usually a PITA anyway), and you'll never have to worry about this part of the system failing you again.

And if you ever lose your keys, then with VATS wired this way, you can simply swap a standard key cylinder in place of the VATS cylinder, avoiding a change to a new VATS cylinder, which can be expensive if you don't know how to do it yourself.

Edit: and if you ever forget to flip the switch before you turn the key, there will be no need to wait before attempting to start it again after you do flip the switch, because the computer won't have "seen" that as a failed attempt to start the car.

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 12-21-2008 at 08:50 PM.