Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Camaro head lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 12:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: Camaro RS/SS
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: 4L60E Transgo shift kit, 3500 stall
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen Rear 3:42
Camaro head lights

Im thinking of doing this dual intake system for my camaro. The camaro has 4 headlights. I want to take out the inner headlights (High Beams) and put my air filters in its place.

Now the question is can i just use one head light for both High/Low beam for each side (passenger/Driver) Planing on doing the HID conversion and use these HID bulbs. They say that they are high/low beams. Whats involved in doing this?
Attached Thumbnails Camaro head lights-6.jpg  
Old 12-20-2008, 12:37 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi
Re: Camaro head lights

If you can find a dual sealed beam to replace the outers or just go HID. Then sure....Wouldn't be hard at all, besides rewiring Hi & Low into 1 output plug, but that might be taken care by the HID box too. Pontiacs have only 1 bulb & are Hi/Low combined.

So basically, you'd be changing your dual lights into singles & Firebird headlights....Sorta.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:41 AM
Supreme Member

So what would the wire diagram look like then, Cause how will i still control the high beams with the headlight switch? I think im making it harder than what it is LOL. I have a brain fart right now that just wont pass
Old 12-20-2008, 01:16 AM
Banned

Hmmm.....It'll take me a bit (if i even can) figure out how to turn Camaro into Firebird wiring.

Are the 4 Camaro light only 2 wires each? 1 Power, 1 Ground?

If so.....The Pontiac light plugs are 3 wires..1 High Power, 1 Low Power & 1 Ground.

Seems TOOOO easy, but could you just reroute the Hi & Low power wires to 1 Pontiac plug, and plug it into a dual Hi/Low HID bulb?

On a side note....What are you doing for suspension? Air Ride? Your Camaro has the SICKEST stance! I saw your pic in another thread,,,That stance is PERFECT! Do the rear tires stick out any?
Old 12-20-2008, 01:48 AM
Supreme Member

its wired just like this. So low beams have 3 wires and the High has 2. So your saying that all i need to do is get a firebird 3pin connector and from there use the HID to the New H4 head light? That sounds like that might work

Thanks for the compliment dude! Yeah i have the Air ride setup. I LOVE IT. Thats my show stance. I raise it up 3 fingers in the rear and 2 fingers in the front. I have a 4th gen rear with custom wheels. The wheels just sit even with the fender. Perfect fit.
Attached Thumbnails Camaro head lights-schematc.jpg  
Old 12-20-2008, 02:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ramair21
its wired just like this. So low beams have 3 wires and the High has 2. So your saying that all i need to do is get a firebird 3pin connector and from there use the HID to the New H4 head light? That sounds like that might work

Thanks for the compliment dude! Yeah i have the Air ride setup. I LOVE IT. Thats my show stance. I raise it up 3 fingers in the rear and 2 fingers in the front. I have a 4th gen rear with custom wheels. The wheels just sit even with the fender. Perfect fit.
Oh yeah....The Low beam is a dual (Hi/Low), the the Hi is just the single. Been a long time since I had a Camaro and messed with the headlights. I converted my Camaro headlights into police-style wig-wag headlights, when I was a volunteer Firefighter.

I'm not 100% certain, but I was thinking the middle connection on the Firebird plug was ground, but who knows.....You just might be right. If not, just a simple matter of switching black with red or blue, so no big deal.

I had some H4 bulbs (same design as HID bulbs) in my GTA for awhile & they were direct plug-ins. Dunno if it was the housings or bulbs, but they SUCKED! Every time I had to drive at night, I had to change my shorts when I got home......I went back to my Sylvania Silverstar sealed beams though. Those things are AWESOME. Just put Silverstar H3s in my fog lights too. It's like the sun just came up!

My 17 x 9 Snypers sit almost 1" in, so if I did a 4th gen rear, I'd be OUT by an inch, +-. Still might do it though & get those IMSA-style quarters.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: TT LS
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: S60 3.54's

The outer headlights are a high and low beam bulb already. That particular HID bulb you show I wouldn't use. Those were the first ones I bought too a few years ago, and that little bulb off to the side is the high beam that is WAY off of the focal point of the housings and puts out basically no light. There are other h4/9003 bulbs that use HID on high and low beam, which I have and still don't think they're that great as far as difference between beams but are still far better than that one you found.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Stephen
Oh yeah....The Low beam is a dual (Hi/Low), the the Hi is just the single. Been a long time since I had a Camaro and messed with the headlights. I converted my Camaro headlights into police-style wig-wag headlights, when I was a volunteer Firefighter.

I'm not 100% certain, but I was thinking the middle connection on the Firebird plug was ground, but who knows.....You just might be right. If not, just a simple matter of switching black with red or blue, so no big deal.

I had some H4 bulbs (same design as HID bulbs) in my GTA for awhile & they were direct plug-ins. Dunno if it was the housings or bulbs, but they SUCKED! Every time I had to drive at night, I had to change my shorts when I got home......I went back to my Sylvania Silverstar sealed beams though. Those things are AWESOME. Just put Silverstar H3s in my fog lights too. It's like the sun just came up!

My 17 x 9 Snypers sit almost 1" in, so if I did a 4th gen rear, I'd be OUT by an inch, +-. Still might do it though & get those IMSA-style quarters.
I have to change my shorts when i drive my car at night. Still havent done anything with the lights. Still factory style. Im going to look into this new dual intake that i want to do and see if its going to work first.

If you get the 4th gen rear your going to stick out 2inches or so. But like you said get those quarter panels to tuck that wheel in
----------
Originally Posted by fast82z
The outer headlights are a high and low beam bulb already. That particular HID bulb you show I wouldn't use. Those were the first ones I bought too a few years ago, and that little bulb off to the side is the high beam that is WAY off of the focal point of the housings and puts out basically no light. There are other h4/9003 bulbs that use HID on high and low beam, which I have and still don't think they're that great as far as difference between beams but are still far better than that one you found.
Thanks for the heads up Fast! They are many other HID out there that have the all in one style. Just have to found out which one is best. More searching is required for this. Or maybe i dont get HIGH beams and just get a higher HID light like 8000k or something like that cause that already will be very bright

right....???

Last edited by Ramair21; 12-20-2008 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost