Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

How to disassemble column to replace hi/low switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 08:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9" for the ladies
How to disassemble column to replace hi/low switch

Hi/low switch was very hard to click for a day and now the stalk is floppy so I guess it broke completely. Turn signals still work though. The metal rod going down the column is still running inside the swtich so I can only assume something inside the column is broke causing it not to move the rod.
I pulled the wheel off and the snap ring off and the first plastic plate off behind the snap ring. I assume next I get a puller to pull the metal plate, but after that will I be far enough in to get at whatever usually breaks on the hi/low stalk? Also is it usually something fixable from the parts store or does it just wear out with no replaceable parts, in which case I need a new column?
Any directions or pointers on getting at and fixing what I need to?

Last edited by Aaron91RS; 10-07-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:42 AM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Re: How to disassemble column to replace hi/low switch

The switch itself is at the bottom of the column (remove the hush panel for access. IIRC, you'll see both rod and switch). No need to mess with the anything else--assuming the switch is the culprit.

JamesC

Last edited by JamesC; 10-07-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:06 AM

As I said in the orginal post, the metal rod is ok and still goes down in to the switch at the bottom.
That makes me think it's something else.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73

Youve got a fun road ahead. You basically have to get down to the wiper switch. There are some tabs and levers that actuate the top of the hi/lo rod and something probably busted in there. The only "special" tools you'll need is a steering wheel puller, and a GM lock plate removal tool. Both of which you can rent at autozone if you dont want to just buy them.

If you have one of those Haynes books, the description is pretty much spot on. Thats what I used and it really helped. The parts that are alittle weird are down by the ignition switch. I think you have to pull the actual lock cylinder out.

Im not sayin whats in there thats broke... Could just be a little piece, or it could be the wiper switch itself. That switch pivots in a couple directions, so its not impossible for one function to quit and the other to work. The rod def isnt moving when you move the lever back and forth like flashing your lights??

Here are a couple pictures of my column down to the wiper switch to give you an idea.

All the parts.

Name:  S6002375.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  128.8 KB

What was left of the column.

Name:  S6002377.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  91.2 KB

And all that to get to this..

Name:  S6002376.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  92.7 KB

Its very easy tho. And the next time, if you have to pull the column apart, goes like butter. Just that initial cherry popping that is alittle bit of a pain.

J.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:11 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Many
Transmission: Quite a few

if it's the turn signal stalk itself, then you yes, you need to pull of the column lock ring. the tool is a u shaped bracket, that uses the factory nut to compress the spring down, then they you need to remove the ring that retains that plate, pay attention to how everything behind the ring comes off, since you want to replace it the same way. once thats off, you can clearly see the turn signal cam and look more closely at the stalk mount, etc.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by jwscab
if it's the turn signal stalk itself, then you yes, you need to pull of the column lock ring. the tool is a u shaped bracket, that uses the factory nut to compress the spring down, then they you need to remove the ring that retains that plate, pay attention to how everything behind the ring comes off, since you want to replace it the same way. once thats off, you can clearly see the turn signal cam and look more closely at the stalk mount, etc.
I think you have the right idea, but maybe your termonolgy is a bit off. Turn signal stalk is the thing that sticks out of the side. That you can pull off and remove without taking a single thing apart in the column. If you have cruise and want the wire to go back down inside...you need to take thigns apart.

The turn signal cam is above where he needs to be. The turn signal cam sort of hides a lot of the goodies below it, and thats where the linkage for the hi/lo switch and ignition cylinder lock reside. The turn signal cam does have to come out in order to work on everything else below it. His turn signals work...so that leads me to believe its not the stalk or turn signal switch.

One of teh bummers about this is you need to remove the steering column support in order to fish out the wires and plugs. So that means pulling the hush panels and moving switches and wiring. A bit of a pain but not too bad. After you bring the wires out from behind the support bracket, you can reinstall it temporarily to hold things up while you work.

I just re-read his original post. Sounds like you are pretty far down in the column. Just need that lock plate removal tool and you can get to it all. But thats depending on whether the rod moves or not. I cant tell by your post. If the rod is still moving, then the hi/lo switch is bad. You hope this is it...then its an easy fix. haha.

J.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
I cant tell by your post. If the rod is still moving, then the hi/lo switch is bad. You hope this is it...then its an easy fix. haha.

J.
rod doesn't move
Old 10-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Start diggin in

If you run into any problems, post up. But you should be able to get it apart pretty easy. As for whats broken...that can vary. Hopefully its something simple. If the wiper switch is broken, that sucks. They are usually over 100 bucks if you have delay wipers and a tilt column. Unless you grab one from a junk yard...but honestly I wouldnt want to go through all that work and then possibly get a broken switch.

THere are a few parts in there that I can say you might not be able to get brand new. Although, the one thing you have goin for ya in that respect is that column set up was used for quite a long time. So you might be in luck getting a part from the dealer or from gmpartsdirect or something.

Let us know how ya make out!

J.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:25 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Z28
Engine: L69 305 H.O.
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Read this. It's pretty good pictorial instructions. It'll get you all the way to the tilt steering.

http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/steering.html
Old 10-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

NICE link... I never saw that before. Thats a definite "save to favorites" site. Thanks!

J.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Looking for a new thirdgen
Engine: hopefully a 5.7L 350

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Youve got a fun road ahead. You basically have to get down to the wiper switch. There are some tabs and levers that actuate the top of the hi/lo rod and something probably busted in there. The only "special" tools you'll need is a steering wheel puller, and a GM lock plate removal tool. Both of which you can rent at autozone if you dont want to just buy them.

If you have one of those Haynes books, the description is pretty much spot on. Thats what I used and it really helped. The parts that are alittle weird are down by the ignition switch. I think you have to pull the actual lock cylinder out.

Im not sayin whats in there thats broke... Could just be a little piece, or it could be the wiper switch itself. That switch pivots in a couple directions, so its not impossible for one function to quit and the other to work. The rod def isnt moving when you move the lever back and forth like flashing your lights??

Here are a couple pictures of my column down to the wiper switch to give you an idea.

All the parts.

What was left of the column.

And all that to get to this..

Its very easy tho. And the next time, if you have to pull the column apart, goes like butter. Just that initial cherry popping that is alittle bit of a pain.

J.

I just found this thread and I am also having problems with my wipers. I have an 86 IROC with hi/lo, no cruise, no delay

The switch isn't working well, hi doesn't work at all and sometimes the wipers don't even turn off unless you mess around with it and flip the turn signals on and off. Everything else works fine, hi beams and the turn signals, but just the wipers are all screwy. I think i need a new switch??

and I think its the exact same switch in the pic above (w/ five wires).

what do you think?