Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Help! Just bought an 89 Iroc major electrical probs

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Just bought an 89 Iroc major electrical probs

Just bought an '89 Iroc, and it has some sertoius problems,
Let's start with the power door locks, mirrors, dome light? Every time I try to put in a fuse it pops, How do I figure out what is causing it?
Old 09-05-2008, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 90 z28
Engine: 355 with hsr
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi
Re: Help! Just bought an 89 Iroc major electrical probs

something may of been tapped into and that's just a possible cause and the effect is something's touching chassis ground, so power + ground = a short. wiring for those goes into the dash harness, look to see if it's been hacked into, it runs behind the kickpanels, into the doors, and i know they go to the fuse box under the dash and to their switches, see if someone tapped into them to add a circuit or something.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87IROC, 740iBMW, 328iBMW, 86GMC
Engine: 5.7, 4.4LV8, 2.8, 6.0
Transmission: Manuals & Auto's
Axle/Gears: 3.27, 3.42

By now it's not uncommon to find wiring that's been tampered with for one reason or another.

If you havent already, purchase a good repair manual with wiring diagrams and schematics in it. You'll learn to rely on it.

The fuse you keep blowing is the acc fuse. Those accessories are linked through that fuse and as mentioned, you have a short to ground somewhere. I'll give you a tip, check your cig lighter. Pull it out and test it for a short to ground. That's a common un-checked fault that causes problems in every system you list.

Happy hunting
Old 09-05-2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Wadebryant
By now it's not uncommon to find wiring that's been tampered with for one reason or another.

If you havent already, purchase a good repair manual with wiring diagrams and schematics in it. You'll learn to rely on it.

The fuse you keep blowing is the acc fuse. Those accessories are linked through that fuse and as mentioned, you have a short to ground somewhere. I'll give you a tip, check your cig lighter. Pull it out and test it for a short to ground. That's a common un-checked fault that causes problems in every system you list.

Happy hunting
That was it, it's funny, because I pulled up the eklectrical flow charts last night and saw everything that was running off of the acc, and as soon as I ssaw the lighter I went right to it and that was the problem. Now here's the next one, the car has code 42 which is the EST, and after starting once won't start again and after running a little bit it starts to idle ropugh and shuts off. ow after looking at the flow chart, there are 3 thing s that could be wrong, 1) the EST circuit, 2) The ecm, or 3) the module according to code 42. It gets tricky here, this car has been into the shop all those were replaced, and everything to fuel pressure was checked. The only thing that the mechanic didn't know to do was pull the fuse to the injectors, which I did and the car idled on limp mode. I have a 91 and it had similiar symptoms, but no code 42 and the injectors cleared up the problem, but I don't see it clearing out code 42?
Old 09-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87IROC, 740iBMW, 328iBMW, 86GMC
Engine: 5.7, 4.4LV8, 2.8, 6.0
Transmission: Manuals & Auto's
Axle/Gears: 3.27, 3.42

I'm gonna point you here next; http://www.chevythunder.com
Go to this link and get ready for hours of reading and education. The fault code problems you're having are covered in detail there.

Regards
Old 09-05-2008, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Wadebryant
I'm gonna point you here next; http://www.chevythunder.com
Go to this link and get ready for hours of reading and education. The fault code problems you're having are covered in detail there.

Regards
Thx, I will try it.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:30 PM

Your very right, I have already been looking, because when I purchased the car, i noticed it had an alarm door sensor, and that was the first thing that I thought. I bought it to take on the project, full well knowing it didn't run. Being that you didn't even know it had been tapped into, but you brought that up, i take that as a sign, this is could well be where the code 42 is kicking in. I believe that the injectors are bad, but that is not the only thing going on with this car.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 IROC Z28
Engine: 357 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi

Originally Posted by chrisnicmich
Just bought an '89 Iroc, and it has some sertoius problems,
Let's start with the power door locks, mirrors, dome light? Every time I try to put in a fuse it pops, How do I figure out what is causing it?
Unplug the door locks and replace the fuse, if if doesn't blow it's in the door locks. If it still blows the fuse the door locks are probable OK.

Repeat the above procedure with each device until you find the culprit.