Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

No start situation - car alarm related????

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '88gta
Engine: 383 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:23 australian 9 bolt posi
No start situation - car alarm related????

Hey Ya'll, Here's some background info - had a Viper car alarm installed 11 years ago - still have the box and instructions but they are buried in my storage building somewhere between Mt.Pileajunk and Crap Canyon.Anyways,I've had the battery out of the car for a week. I reinstall the battery and tryto start the engine.Engine cranks nicely but won't start.I can't hear the fuel pump ( brand new Holley )pressure up and when I checked for pressure at the fuel rails - Zero.Here's my problem - I can't remember if the alarm goes into "car-jack" mode when power is cut off. Also, I can't remember the"magic sequence" of turning the key to the "on" position and pushing the "car-jack" button. Does the Viper alarm disable or block power to the fuel pump so the engine won't start? If it does then this maybe my problem.Does anyone know the right key/button sequence so I can get my hotrod back on the street? Any help or suggestionswill be greatly appreciated - Thanx in advance !

" A woman drove me to drink...and I didn't have the decency to thank her ! "
W.C. Fields - 1938

Last edited by T-rick'srod; 03-19-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: L03 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: No start situation - car alarm related????

I haven't messed with any that old, but on anything made in at least the last 8 years or so, you turn the key to the on position, and hold in that button till you hear one chirp/honk. This places the alarm in valet mode, which is pretty much dropping it down to keyless entry. Repeat the process to return it to full functionality.
As a side note, aftermarket alarms usually disable the starter, but it could have been wired to cut the fuel pump.
Lastly, you have checked the fuse on the pump right?