Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

need help, bad, wiring problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: V6 3.1
Transmission: Auto
need help, bad, wiring problems

okay, so i bought a 91 camaro rs from a guy a few weeks ago, just now got the chance to start working on it. when i got it, i found out that the vats system was tripping alot. he didnt know this so he unplug a set of wires and ran a wire for this set to the lighter plug, thats how in reality he was starting this car, by sticking a wire from the dash (behind radio/ ac controls) to the cigarette lighter. i guess bypassing the computer all together and creating a "push-button" start so to say. now i've got it, i've taken care of the vats problems, and now i have re spliced this wire back into its set, the problem is, i dont know where the matching plug is. the only thing the plastic connector piece has on it is like "Ped 3" and then each wire is label A-F. Two of the wire are high gauge wire so i do beleive this is the original starter wire, but im not sure where it goes and the car will not roll without it being plugged back in. Any help would be awesome. if more info or possible pictures are needed i can get them. oh and the wire that he had cut is purple high gauge, there are 6 wires total in this cluster and i beleive the other high guage wire was tan, the other for a tiny little wire that i also beilve to be blue green and maybe a black. have to look to be sure.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:07 PM

Car: 85 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: need help, bad, wiring problems

OK I dont have a wiring diagram in front of me but two places to look are under the drivers dash at the base of the column, this is where the actual ignition switch is. check to see if you're mystery connector goes there.

Other place to look is under the passenger side dash, at the ECM harness is there a connector there?

Do a search. Somewhere in the annals of this site you may find wiring diagrams (probably several somewheres).
Old 03-06-2008, 04:27 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: V6 3.1
Transmission: Auto
Re: need help, bad, wiring problems

*Update* it was for the neutral safety switch, lol. As i was looking over all the systems checking everything out, i noticed the was NO neutral safety switch in the car, so i picked one up at O'Reily's and sure enough. the only problem is, i plugged it in and now the car will not roll over when u turn the key. It did not before i got it because of the "push button" start style. im gonna check to see if the starter has some how been re-wired to run through this wire instead or what, no idea. i have learn through all of this, never buy a car from an idiot. i'll post another update after i finish looking over the starter, cause im sure that thats what it is, some how bypassed. thanks for your help, as i may need it again soon.