Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Wiring rearview mirror

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R4
Wiring rearview mirror

I searched but couldnt figure it out so im asking

I just got a rerview mirror was map lights for my car which orignally doesnt have map light there, How should I wire this? If I wire it to the dome light power, will it come on when the doors open even if the switches are set to off? How about when the doors are shut flipping the switch would it come on or no? Would I haft to run that to a always live wire such as the cig lighter so i could flip them on???
Old 10-08-2007, 07:34 AM

Car: 1987 IROC (parts car) '86 IROC
Engine: 5.7, None
Transmission: 700R4, None
Re: Wiring rearview mirror

I would hook it into the dome light circuit because it is always hot and you might get lucky if there is already a connector there for it.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Zwrench
I would hook it into the dome light circuit because it is always hot and you might get lucky if there is already a connector there for it.

Ok, by saying its always hot if I splice in to the dome light and hook the wires from the mirror to the ones on the dome light and then ground the third wire comming off of the mirror It should come on when the doors are open or if I flip the switch for them?

Last edited by KYLE87; 10-08-2007 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:43 PM

Car: 1986 Iroc-Z

I have an 86 and this didn't work for me. The lights would only come on when the door was open, or the dome light was on, and the same goes for the button lights
Old 10-08-2007, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Disaster
I have an 86 and this didn't work for me. The lights would only come on when the door was open, or the dome light was on, and the same goes for the button lights
What did you end up doing to get it to turn on with the flick of a switch without the door open???
Old 10-09-2007, 03:43 AM

If there is 12V on the circuit all the time, there is no reason why it wouldn't work as long as the wire from the mirror is grounded. The light will come on with the mirror switch regardless if the door is open or closed.

The door switch provides the ground for the dome light so you want to be sure NOT to hook your mirror's power to the ground side of the dome light. If you do that, the dome light will come on with the mirror light but both will be dim. Do a search for a schematic, I think I've seen one on the site somewhere.

Like I said before, there is a possibilty that a connector is already there for a mirror hook up. You'll have to drop your headliner either way so, I'd look for one.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:44 AM

If there is 12V on the circuit all the time, there is no reason why it wouldn't work as long as the wire from the mirror is grounded. The light will come on with the mirror switch regardless if the door is open or closed.

The door switch provides the ground for the dome light so you want to be sure NOT to hook your mirror's power to the ground side of the dome light. If you do that, the dome light will come on with the mirror light but both will be dim. Do a search for a schematic, I think I've seen one on the site somewhere.

Like I said before, there is a possibilty that a connector is already there for a mirror hook up. You'll have to drop your headliner either way so, I'd look for one.

Ive got an orange wire and a white wire and the black ground wire on the mirror end, The dome light has a orange wire and a white wire, If I pair the wires with there color and ground the black one would that do it? or should I only hook up one of the wires either orange or white and tape off the loose wire that I didnt hook up?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:09 PM

The schematic I have doesn't show a map light so I'll tell you what I THINK will happen. Since I'm not sure how the map lights are wired you can regard this post as an assumption.

The orange wire is hot and the white wire goes to the door switch. That much is fact.

If you hook your orange to orange and your white to white AND ground the black wire your map lights should light when you open the door. You should also be able to turn the lights on with their switches when the door is closed.

If you leave the white wire off you will only have map lights when you use their buttons.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:15 PM

The schematic I have doesn't show a map light so I'll tell you what I THINK will happen. Since I'm not sure how the map lights are wired you can regard this post as an assumption.

The orange wire is hot and the white wire goes to the door switch. That much is fact.

If you hook your orange to orange and your white to white AND ground the black wire your map lights should light when you open the door. You should also be able to turn the lights on with their switches when the door is closed.

If you leave the white wire off you will only have map lights when you use their buttons.
You are correct, I installedit like this today and it works just like that, thanks for the help everyone!