Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Battery cable lead/connector question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Battery cable lead/connector question.

Before I go removing the old cables, I want to verify that these new battery cables are going to work for me.

The new negative cable has one lead which has labeled on it, fusible link. Is this correct? My current negative cable has a lead which is screwed on near the battery. I do not think the current one says fusible link, but I could be wrong. Will I need to add another lead to replace the existing lead or is the fusible link wire the same thing as what I have now?

The long positive cable... The switch end of the cable, is this correct? Will this connect properly to the starter solenoid? I ask because it has the same end as the negative cable, plus I'm used to a more traditional short roundish connector and this one is long and flat and a bit thick.

The lead on the positive looks fine and should splice nicely into my existing alternator/engine wiring harness wire once I cut it off the old cable. I'm also not concerned about the incorrect color of the positive(black instead of red).

Esentially, both cables have different style wiring/leads or different connectors than I am used to and I need to know if the new ones are correct and will work for me. This is for a 91 Trans Am.
Attached Thumbnails Battery cable lead/connector question.-negcable.jpg   Battery cable lead/connector question.-poscable.jpg  
Old 09-27-2007, 07:08 PM

Car: 89 GTA Trans Am
Engine: 350 TPI
Re: Battery cable lead/connector question.

The cables are correct. They have the correct ends on them and they will work. I just replaced mine as well and they are the same.

Not sure about the fusible link though. Mine didn't have the fusible link on either cable. The small lead on the ground cable runs to my radiator support behind the drivers side headlight but it's just a straight wire.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:21 PM

Mine is like yours, the lead bolts to the support. Any idea if splicing the existing wire onto the fusible link is ok? Clip old wire off terminal connector, expose a bit of wire, stick that into butt splice of fusible link? Or go with a new straight wire and some kind of connector for the terminal?
Old 09-27-2007, 09:42 PM

Not real sure, but i would say just use the butt splice on there for now. I was thinking about it and i'm wondering why they have a fusible link on the negative cable. I thought normally it would be on the positive side.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:28 PM

Sounds good to me. I mean the fusible link is a wire and if it's just some kind of addition ground lead it should have its connection regardless whether it's a fusible link or standard wire. I figure as much at least. If it turns out to be a problem, I can just make a new piece of wire and either stick it under the side terminal or use the top post negative.

One last question. On yours, other than the leads at the terminal ends, did the postive or negative have any addition wires at the starter solenoid or block connections? Additional wires connected to the original cable that is. Just wanna make sure all I need to do is 2 splices up near the battery for the alternator and ground lead and the other ends go straight to the block and solenoid with no other wires to fuss with.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:53 PM

The positive cable goes straight to the solenoid and no other wires should have to be messed with there.

The negative on mine goes down below the power steering pump to the block and bolts there. It's the only connection there.