Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

inflate restraint light 91 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: 1 legger 2.xx(needs upgrade)
inflate restraint light 91 camaro

i have a 91 camaro that had a v6 in the car.. before i swapped it out there was no inflate restraint light on.. actually i dont ever recall seeing it in the cluster when i took that out either.. i swapped in a 91 350 auto with auto tranny/91 wiring/cpu. i also put in a 91 350 cluster so that the tach would read right. i have no issues with service engine soon light or anything, only issue i have is the inflate restraint light blinks the 7 or 8 times and stays light. When i had the v6 the light never blinked(i dont think it was even in the cluster as far as the blub) and now with the 350 its there and it blinks 7-8 times and then stays on instead of turning off. Any way i could figure out why its on? so i can fix it and get it to turn off! without doing the "hack" way of taking the bulb out.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:39 AM

Re: inflate restraint light 91 camaro

anyone know any reason the infl restraint would even be on all the time instead of turning off? everything else is just about fixed on the car and i have no mroe service engine soon light so i really want to get this fixed.. the right way!
Old 07-13-2007, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 83 Trans Am
Engine: LT1 350
Transmission: 5 Speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10bolt till it breaks

If the light stays on it means there is a fault in the system and the system has disabled itself for your protection against accidental inflation.

I have a 90 Bird that the light stays on too, and I tried several things to disable the light and ended up pulling the dash to remove the bulb. However I do remember someone here at TGO within the last week of so who said there was a small box or something somewhere under the dash that can be messed with the shut off the light, but I dont remember how or where its at, maybe they will speak up and say. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:55 PM

thanks for your response if i find anything ill post it here incase you want to know also.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:06 PM

did a ton of searching and found really nothing, all of the things i found are people taking out the bulbs, changing steeringwheels, and some people that have my problem and not saying how they corrected it or if they ever got it fixed. most just say yes thats your inflate restraint light and if it stays on theres a problem if it goes off its fine and that it blinks around 7-8 times like i said before. someone has had to of gone through this and actually figured it out
Old 07-14-2007, 06:01 PM

ttt anyone else know anything?
Old 07-14-2007, 08:00 PM

Car: 1990 GTA
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi

The light is supposed to blink 7-9 times when you first turn on the ignition. It should go solid as you crank the engine, then it should blink 7-9 more times after the engine starts.. Then it should go out and stay out.

If it's staying on, then there is a fault somewhere in the air bag system. If you never saw a light in the original old dash, then someone could have removed the bulb in that one... Now that you have a bulb in the new dash, you're seeing it flashing and staying on.

Since you changed the engine, it could be your forward discriminating sensor. That's the only SIR component under the hood. (The other sensors etc are all inside the passenger compartment). It might have become unplugged or the wires were broken or cut during the engine swap.

The image below shows where the forward discriminating sensor is located on a Firebird.. The Camaro location is probably the same.. It will just be mounted a little differently.. NOTE.. You can damage this sensor just by banging it. There isn't much you can do other than make sure the sensor is there, and the wires are attached and aren't broken anywhere.

Other than that, diagnosing the SIR system is pretty complex. There is a special airbag scan tool you plug into the ALDL port to read stored fault codes from the dynamic energy reserve module (DERM)... On the Firebird, you can get the SIR light to flash trouble codes (much like the check engine light) by shorting pins A and K then turning on the ignition... I imagine the Camaro is the same.

If there are trouble codes set in the DERM, they can only be removed with the proper airbag scantool. As long as there are codes, the light will most likely stay on even if you do fix the problem.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:28 PM

So if the light is on i would need to hook up the air bag scan tool to find out what is wrong correct ?