Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

No Headlights or interior power NEED MAJOR HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 TPI IROC-Z
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700 Bulletproof
Axle/Gears: 3:42
No Headlights or interior power NEED MAJOR HELP!

Right now i have a true "day"ly driver car, cause i cant drive at night

85 iroc, tpi.
Had a 700r4 tranny rebuilt this past week, first time i drove at night was last night. up till this time everything, radio, interior light and all worked. turned my headlights on, they came on for about a second and shut off, and I lost all interior power, no radio, no interior light or anything, all gauges still work, brake lights still work and blinkers still work. i have checked all the fuses and all of them are good.

looked at diagrams and it looks like the head light and interior lights are on two different curcuits (but also dont have a clue but the basics when it comes eletrical)

spoke with a guy that i know that has a shop and he said that there is a lot of wires that comes off my starter and some grounds on the tranny. so i call the tranny shop back and he said they never pulled or touched the starter and there is nothing that hooks up or on to the tranny.

what else should i look at.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:53 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: clapped out 84Z
Engine: 355 efi roller
Transmission: tremec TKO
There should be two fusible links that come off of the starter...on the same post as the battery cable. One of these is probably blown. It is an actual piece of wire that burns up and you might need to probe a test light into the wire past the fusible link section to see if it is bad or not.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:10 PM

anyone have a general idea of where these fusable links are. i know what they look like, just lot easier if i know a close to look for then spot
Old 02-23-2007, 05:14 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: clapped out 84Z
Engine: 355 efi roller
Transmission: tremec TKO
They both start at the large terminal on the starter and are about 6" long. They look just like a piece of wire. They should go into a metal tube and disappear behind the block into the wiring harness.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:45 AM

Ok, this same thing happened to me a few weeks ago on my 87 GTA.

Both fusible links turned out to be OK.

Now, under the drivers side dash, pull off the panel under the steering column etc, and at the firewall there is a bulk head connector that comes in from the engine bay. The bottom right side wire is Red. That feeds power to the interior (headlight switch, pwr window switches, side mirrors etc) That wire on my car was loose at that main connection at the firewall. I would move that wire and it would arc. I have since tightened the connection and its all good now.

Do you have power to anything else in the interior etc? (Demister will usually still work, but you'll have no interior lights and power to most other things etc..)

Hope this helps.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:06 PM

Car: 84 trans am
Engine: 305
Transmission: built 700r4
hey the same thing happened to me, before my motor swap the lights worked fine now they dont. no raidio, headlights or interior lights. the guages still work and so do the windows and heat and ac stuff. you said there 2 lines that go from the starter into the wireing harness. well mine had 3 and one of them was shorted so i just dissconnected it and caped it off because i thought it had something to do with the alarm. are you sure theres not another fuse somewhere for the lights and stuff? as far as i know thats the only eletrical thing i changed.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:35 AM

Car: 86 Omni GLHT
Engine: 2.2 Turbo/Intercooled
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3:85
Re: No Headlights or interior power NEED MAJOR HELP!

Originally Posted by LarsZ28
Ok, this same thing happened to me a few weeks ago on my 87 GTA.

Both fusible links turned out to be OK.

Now, under the drivers side dash, pull off the panel under the steering column etc, and at the firewall there is a bulk head connector that comes in from the engine bay. The bottom right side wire is Red. That feeds power to the interior (headlight switch, pwr window switches, side mirrors etc) That wire on my car was loose at that main connection at the firewall. I would move that wire and it would arc. I have since tightened the connection and its all good now.

Do you have power to anything else in the interior etc? (Demister will usually still work, but you'll have no interior lights and power to most other things etc..)

Hope this helps.
that is actually what is wrong with it. it used to be my old car and had the same problem.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:57 AM

yep that was it. it is now fixed
Old 03-30-2007, 06:59 AM

Awesome, glad I could help..