Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Need help, Mallory ignition problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 GTA Notchback
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Need help, Mallory ignition problems

Hey guys, I bought a used ignition system off ebay a couple months ago and just got around to installing it this weekend on my 2nd gen Camaro.
The distributor is brand new in the box Mallory Comp 9000 magnetic pickup with 2 wires not 3,
The ignition box is a Mallory Hyfire IV and the coil is a Mallory Promaster.
I have power coming into the ignition box, both from the battery and the switched source but no power at the coil.
All grounds are attached and grounded correctly and from the directions everything is wired up correctly but still no power to the coil.
For those familiar with this box the yellow wire goes to the positive on the coil, the black goes to the negative, the red to the switched source, the green is not used (all above from harness)
The seperate red wire goes to the battery, the seperate black goes to the body ground.
The 2 small wires coming out of the ignition box goes to the 2 wires from the distributor.
Does this sound correct? Any ideas where the problem is? Is it a bad box?
Any way to test this other then what I have checked already? (made sure I had power coming into the box, both battery power and switched power with a test light but no power coming out of the box on any wire.
Sorry so long but thanks for the help.
Robert