Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Rear Window Defroster

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T-5 WC
Axle/Gears: Yukon 3.73
Rear Window Defroster

I have a 1989 GTA. One of the horizontal wires no longer defrosts the rear hatch back window. I imagine the wire is burnt even though a close examination with a magnifying glass does not reveal any breaks in the wire. All the other wires defrost their sections of the rear window. Does anyone have any experience repairing these? I notice the wire, along with the metal wire strips along the sides of the window, appeared glued to the inside of the window. Can these be removed with a new rear window defroster installed onto the inside of the rear hatch back window? I remember a long time ago you could buy kits to stick to the inside of rear windows for cars that did not come with rear window defrosters. I sure hope this this does not require buying a new rear window.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 83 POS monte carlo 2015 chevy P/U
Engine: 92 5.7 tpi 5.3
Transmission: 700r4 6L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.42 too high
it doesn't take much to cause a problem with the rear defogger, you probably damaged part of the grid when you cleaned the window or something nicked it.
they are very cheap & easy to repair if you know how to do it.

to find where its damaged at & how to repair it, these 3 links should tell you everything you need,

http://www.glasslinks.com/tips/defrost1.htm

http://www.fluke.com/application_not...AGID=1&SID=103

http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_...91.html?page=1

you should be able to find the repair kit at most parts houses,
Permatex 15067, Quick Grid Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit or
Loctite 15067, Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit

if you can't find it at a parts house, check here,

http://www.frostfighter.com/index.html
Old 02-07-2007, 04:48 PM

Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T-5 WC
Axle/Gears: Yukon 3.73
Well I fixed the problem on the weekend and thought I would report on my experiences for the benefit of others in the future. Indeed, I had nicked one of the horizontal wires. I even now remember how and when. A very close inspection with a magnifying glass found the damaged area. I went down to the local auto parts store and purchased a repair kit for about $9.00. The kit comes with a template to mask off the damaged area for brushing on a special paint. I found the template would have produced a painted area too wide, which would have been obviously noticeable. So I cleaned the damaged area thoroughly with ammonia and carefully placed two pieces of scotch tape on either side of the damaged portion of the horizontal wire. Then I followed the instructions by applying three coats of the paint and waiting ˝ hour before removing the tape. Unfortunately, the first time I remove the tape after ˝ hour it pulled the paint off the damaged portion. I suspect it was such a narrow portion I had painted, the paint on the tape pulled the paint on the damaged wire off as well. So I did it again but only waited about 10 minutes. This time the paint on the wire was still “wet” enough to not be pulled off by the tape and stayed on the wire. I waited for 24 hours before testing the repaired wire as the instructions recommended and it works better than new and you cannot detect the repaired portion from in side or outside.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:48 PM

Car: 88 Firebird - SOLD!
Engine: 2.8L
Thanks for posting back. Some good guidance for those of us with defroster grid failures.
Thanks again for the tip.
Corky