Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

A few questions from a new T/A owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few questions from a new T/A owner

First question is about those famous headlight motors. Do you need new motors when they start to act up or can you just replace the bushings? The tops of both of my motors spin but the lights have trouble going up or down. Second, where can I find the switch for the power mirrors? Mine will go left and right but will only go up or down sometimes. Third, where can you get the motor for the hatch? Mine will shut but won't move any at all leaving me to believe it's either a bad motor or unplugged motor. Lastly, my tach works fine at times, then sometimes it will either bounce around erratically or just read zero. Capacitor or something else? I have a spare 87 GTA that I use for parts for my 89 T/A so I can steal some from there. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the headlight motors run, but the headlights struggle to go up, then 99% of the time it is the 3 bushings in the headlight motor housing. The factory ones tend to turn to powder after time. You can get a kit to fix this problem from TDS (Top Down Solutions, check their ad on this site).

And about your hatch motor, there is a little sensor/lever where the striker from the hatch sits into and when it touches this "sensor/lever" the housing will pull down. Check to make sure that you hatch is aligned with the motor housing, you can put your finger into the space where the striker would normall go and push down the small lever and your hatch motor should activate and go back down. If not, the problem is elsewhere.