Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

pop up headlight problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pop up headlight problems

i have an 82 TA. and the driver side headlight motor goes up but when I turn the lights off the headlight goes down, and the motor keeps spinning and spinning. the drivers side doesn't go up, i have to do it manually but it goes down just fine. is this just a relay,bearings or what?? i need help its driving me crazy.

HELP!!!!
Old 12-26-2006, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by 82karr
i have an 82 TA. and the driver side headlight motor goes up but when I turn the lights off the headlight goes down, and the motor keeps spinning and spinning. the drivers side doesn't go up, i have to do it manually but it goes down just fine. is this just a relay,bearings or what?? i need help its driving me crazy.

HELP!!!!
I had to replace my motors in my head lights, they were shorting out. after i replaced the motors they worked ok. also check you clearance from your pop ups to you hood. when I replaced mine i had to take them out and the one stuck going down and it was a clearence issue with the hood and coming up from the front end. good luck i hope this helps
Old 01-03-2007, 06:27 PM

I have repaired the pop-up headlights before. There are two VERY small e-clips which are used as the up and down stop trips. When they break or wear out the headlights either remain stuck open or refuse to open. If you take the headlight out and remove the cover for the drive you will see the grooves the e-clip fit into. If you can't locate an e-clip of the right size there is no need to worry, the drive for the GM power antenna is the same you can steal a pair from one. I think that's where GM made their mistake, they had a good reliable drive that worked fine on a lightweight antenna, but just didn't hold up to the weight of the headlight.