Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

How Do i Wire A Fan Switch Into The Car Interior

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 305 TBI
How Do i Wire A Fan Switch Into The Car Interior

My overheating problems are cause because my fan is jerryriggiged to only run when you physically plug it into the battery, sice it is embarrassing opening up my hood in the parking lot(people think its worse than it looks) so i would like to pysically turn it on and off from inside the cockpit.

Thanks Alot,

BTW im a poor High School Student so a really cheap switch would be goood, i dont want to rewire it so it automaticly goes on i want to be able to turn it on and off.

Thanks, Neil
Old 11-15-2006, 07:30 PM

Car: 90 R/S camaro 3.1L stock,
Just had to do this to my 90 this week.Plan fix it right soon as have down time from work.What I did was run a wire from the fan relay in my case it was at the back of the engine compartment right in the left corner.The thick blk & red wire goes to fan motor,thick red wire is power to red&blk when relay is activated,the thin brn or tan wire is volts in for relay and the grn/wht wire is to the PCM.There is aparently sumthin wrong with my PCM so I just spliced/tapped the grn/wht wire ran the tap into the interior to a simple toggle switch , out the other side of the switch to ground under the dash.When i flip the switch it trips relay and turns on the fan.even used a nice chromed mini switch and mounted it in the dash.The current used to trip the relay is negligable compares to the draw of the motor thats why i didn HOT WIRE the fan directly.Have seen cars burn from too much power thru wrong rated toggles b4.

Also check out these posts.....

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cool...stall-fan.html

https://www.thirdgen.org/electric_co...pec_mod_single

Good luck and it's easy enuff.oh yea i almost 4got.Wirein it the way i did keeps me from forgetin ta turn it off and run the batt down.It shuts off when cars not in run or accs.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
For $35 or so at Autozone/Advance you can get a seperate fan controller with all wiring included that operate the fan automatically. It has a probe that sticks inbetween the radiator fins.

This would be a cheap resolve, would keep you from having to worry about it, or forgetting and ruining your engine. I highly recommend you not rely on your ability to remember to check the temp - not only will you forget, but how do you know if your guage even reads accurately (most of these guages don't).
Old 11-16-2006, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by camaronewbie
For $35 or so at Autozone/Advance you can get a seperate fan controller with all wiring included that operate the fan automatically. It has a probe that sticks inbetween the radiator fins.

This would be a cheap resolve, would keep you from having to worry about it, or forgetting and ruining your engine. I highly recommend you not rely on your ability to remember to check the temp - not only will you forget, but how do you know if your guage even reads accurately (most of these guages don't).
What temp does it turn on at?
Old 11-17-2006, 05:28 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Originally Posted by camaronewbie
you can get a seperate fan controller with all wiring included that operate the fan automatically. I highly recommend you not rely on your ability to remember to check the temp
What camaronewbie said. Or repair it as GM designed. A search would provide the info you require.

JamesC
Old 11-19-2006, 04:23 PM

Sounds like a good temporary fix ta me.Plan ta grab the kit this payday myself.However still plan ta fix the original factory setup and keep the switch (since it interferes with nothing even looks ok)as an emergency backup.

After thought:Being on a TIGHT budget like a highschool kid (age 39)I have found the salvage yards to be awsome sources for toggle switchs.Factroy style ,normal sized and micro sized.

Last edited by Bill/T/D/Y; 11-19-2006 at 04:26 PM. Reason: after thought.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:34 PM

Car: 25th anniv. camaro
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
if it is a tbi motor with a single fan, this is what i did, found the positive wire to the fan, just about 6 inches from the fan motor itself, spliced that wire(leave your grnd uncut) and run it to the switch on the inside of your car, then on the open end of the switch(the prong without a wire) run it to the battery positive, all it does is complete the circuit when the switch is on... not sure how safe it is, but its worked fine for me for 2 months. just make sure you have a strong enough switch( not 1 that will melt down from the 12 volts goin through it from the battery) i also disabled the speed limiter and both of my switches fit nicely into my ash trey, nobody knows i have switches till i open it and flip them on, i had to use a dremel on the ashtrey, but it was worth it.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:31 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: 1 legger 2.xx(needs upgrade)
I just installed something to the matter of the Autozone 35$ Kit
I got the kit for 17.99 I believe, Just go in and ask about a cooling temp switch kit that you put directly into your heater hose, You will put constant power to one side and then the other side to fan then the fan out to ground, The switch will close when it gets up to the temp and turn the fan on!!! Works great, temp goes from 150-240 I am almost 100% Postive thats the settings, you can make it fit your needs, and its cheap easy to install comes with instructions Cant go wrong, been working great on mine!!!

Electric Fan Thermostat
Unit Price: $17.99
Core Value*: $0.00
Part No.: 733653
Weight: 0.6 lbs.
Warranty:
Availability: Online: Ships within 2 business days
Store: Normally Stocked

Last edited by tourville; 11-20-2006 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Found the part # and exact Item on Autozone
Old 11-22-2006, 11:14 AM

Psssttttttt...It ain da volts dat melts da switch it's da amps.Dats why ya use a relay ta handel da current to da fan motor and a switch ta trigger da relay.Motor=high amp pull relay =minimal pull ta engage and is desighned ta handel da motors load.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:55 PM

so because my relay isnt hooked up anymore, my switch is goin to get fried?
Old 11-30-2006, 08:33 PM

What do ya mean not hooked up??Is the entire section removed or just the wires cut?
Old 12-01-2006, 08:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 91 rs
Engine: Blow through 383, 10 psi, xr288hr
Transmission: Manual th350 ATI 3000
Axle/Gears: 3.50 9"
Originally Posted by Bill/T/D/Y
Psssttttttt...It ain da volts dat melts da switch it's da amps.Dats why ya use a relay ta handel da current to da fan motor and a switch ta trigger da relay.Motor=high amp pull relay =minimal pull ta engage and is desighned ta handel da motors load.
Where the hell did you learn english. This isnt an import forum. Get that eibonics **** out of here. Nobody is going to take you seriously if you talk like that.

I bought a self controlled thermal fan switch for my car also. It's easy to hook up, and the most important thing is you can buy one to turn on at temps that you want it too. You should definitely consider it. I paid 30 for mine at summitracing. To run a switch into the cockpit, you would have to use at least a fuse, or a relay and a fuse. I thought about it, but just isn't worth it. Just say what if you forget to turn it on and your motor hits 260*? Or what if you forget to turn it off and kill your battery? It's cheap insurance.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Batass
Where the hell did you learn english. This isnt an import forum. Get that eibonics **** out of here. Nobody is going to take you seriously if you talk like that

ok yea i'll take your advice into consideration..... have a nice day.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 373 Likes on 302 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
ok yea i'll take your advice into consideration..... have a nice day.

in all seriousness..... do as he says and type right, its not hard. its harder to type those slang words than the normal ones. its clearer to read and you'll be taken more seriously.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:26 PM

Engine: '85 Monte SS L69 305
Transmission: TH 200-4R
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Batass and Orr..: Seriously, where the h**l is your humour..? For what it might be worth, these posts made me take Bill a whole lot more seriously than I do you.. I didn't start learning english until 4'th grade and I didn't have any trouble whatsoever reading that "slang". Get real and stop whining, Bill didn't offend anyone, and he took it very graciously when critisized.. Oh, sorry, did I spell that correctly..?
Old 12-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Supreme Member

i just read the last post by him and didnt see his others that were normal....my bad, i thought he was serious there for a minute.. maybe i should read more
Old 12-02-2006, 11:50 AM

Woa Woa bros look I know that at times I don't type properly but hey this is just my nature and don't mean any harm.Last thing I wanna do is start stuff in here you all have been a great bunch and helped me out alot on other matters.Personaly I try to lighten things up a bit and just try to help.I have found that occationaly a lil-bit-o-slang(which IS the way I normaly talk) relaxs people a bit and makes them feel less like they are being talked down to.
I do know propper grammer, sentance structure,ect.But realy don't worry about it unless the need arrises.I.E.for the job and or writeing article 15's.(yea Batass I was in the ARMY too and enjoyed my time at in schwinefert personaly)However this realy isn't the propper place for this disscussion.We are supposed ,I believe ,to be trying to help this fellow forum member to figure out how to fix his collant fan setup.

Personaly I appologize to the forum members for this situation and hope we have been of some service to Camaro-please inspite of things.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:22 PM

What do ya mean not hooked up??Is the entire section removed or just the wires cut?
its all there, i just cut the power wire and ran it to a switch so i could turn it on manually.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 91 rs
Engine: Blow through 383, 10 psi, xr288hr
Transmission: Manual th350 ATI 3000
Axle/Gears: 3.50 9"
Hey no problems, sorry to make a fuss. Camaro-please hasnt responded in a while, wonder what he did.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:39 PM

Ok I'm doin the work thing again here and workin nights.If ya like I'll track down the schematic and try ta include it and try ta give ya step by step for the temp fix I have for my 90 with single fan .It leaves the original wire loom intact so when ya get the $$ ya can try ta get it fixxed.It also leaves it open to function on it's own just incase it's sumthin dumb like a hiccup in the system.Sorry but I believe in gremlins,Comes from being around and ridin Harley's since I could stand up.
But for what it's worth the fixs with aftermarket sensors would be safer .Myself I personaly don realy trust that after market stuff alot and always include a manual standby.
Always glad to try to help when and where I can....Bill
Old 12-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Supreme Member

i wish while i was home this weekend that i would have got some pics of my fan switch. i have dual fans and i tapped into the ground wire by the fan relay by the battery, and wired a 16 ga wire all the way up the passenger side wiring harness...then followed it thru the firewall down below the wheel well, and drilled a small hole in the side of the car by the ECM to allow the wire to go thru. Just followin where the wiring harness leaves the ecm to the motor..its really simple.
ran that all the way under the dash---underneath the carpet actually...to the driver side and snaked it up to the front of the dash where i put in a switch below the cigarette lighter.

now i can turn the fan on or off whenever i want. but rarely do i need to do that now with the 170 degree thermostat
Old 12-03-2006, 10:29 PM

Car: 87 Camaro IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.23
free replacement here: bypassed the relay so the fan comes on when you turn the ignition to ON. i found that it stays way cooler than before when i had the fan switch and all that bs.

all you have to do is find the hot wire that goes into the relay, then cut it and wire it to the positive side of the fan wires.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gramps
free replacement here: bypassed the relay so the fan comes on when you turn the ignition to ON. i found that it stays way cooler than before when i had the fan switch and all that bs.

all you have to do is find the hot wire that goes into the relay, then cut it and wire it to the positive side of the fan wires.

ok so maybe a switch and a lower temp thermostat, but i heard that with a lower temp thermostat you get radiator problems, off topic... but how much does a cheap switch, is a switch all i need or do i kneed some thing else
Thanks,

P.S you guys are wasting your time arguing about what ever it is
Old 12-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Supreme Member

depends on how low temp a thermo u get, but i would not wire the fans on allthe time. your motor will not get hot and if u drive out in cooler weather, will not have heat. my 170 degree and no fans on doesnt get much hotter than 150 degrees on cooler days. the needle on the factory gauge is just abit above 110 degree mark.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:59 PM

sorry about lettin ya all down on the pix but sum serious stuff came down at the home and work 20.Will get back up with the pix and what i did info soonest.Peace and warmest wishs...Bill
Old 12-04-2006, 09:09 PM

sorry about lettin ya all down on the pix but sum serious stuff came down at the home and work 20.Will get back up with the pix and what i did info soonest.Peace and warmest wishs...Bill
O ur gonna get some pics up of the switch, thats great, when the snow melts im gonna go tackle this so the more help/visual Aid i get is better, you just did the switch right? no complex wiring?

Why does GM think it is alright to runn the temp of the car so high?
Old 12-04-2006, 09:14 PM

Car: 86 firebird v6,86 corvette,88 GTA
Engine: 350 C.I.,2.8l.
Transmission: th700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:08,3:27
Running at 195 helps with emissions and fuel economy.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:41 PM

simple P.O.S. mini switch.Actually from an old alarm system.Wired to the grnd side the fan relay.Switch trips relay-relay handels load for fan.And doesn't effect the original system any so nuthin ta repair when i take the time to fix the problem.Got off work at 7am and just gettin home now.12;30 ish.Night.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:15 AM

ok back sorry but been alot goin on here.Been tryin ta take pix but cams a POS.But still workin on it.All i did was run a wire inthru the door jam from the relay(i'll look and see what point in the relay)to a mini toggle and then from toggle to grnd.Flip the switch actiavets the relay and fan runs.Only when ign is on tho so no batt drain if ya forget and leave it on.Now that it's cold out i rarely even turn it on.
But will get to gettin pix and x-act info .