Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Alarm trouble driving me CRAZY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 01:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 RS
Engine: a slow one
Transmission: a crunchy one
Axle/Gears: a whiny one
Alarm trouble driving me CRAZY!!!

I have a 1992 Camaro RS, 3.1 w/T-5... It has VATS from the factory, along with an alarm system. I've found that (contrary to my belief) GM did NOT install the alarm/keyless entry/hatch release that is found on my car. But someone on one of the alarm sites informed me that Code Alarm offered these systems on these cars, and that dealers offered them as an option and installed them themselves.

MY PROBLEM:

My remote STOPPED WORKING. ARRGH!!!

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO FIND A REPLACEMENT REMOTE???

I was locked out of my car for 2 days before the remote FINALLY gave me one last signal after thousands of attempts. I won't even turn the alarm back on in fear that it will never turn off again. It's not the battery (already tried).

With nary a marking on the entire system (except "GM" on the brain box) OR remote (due to being rubbed out with age) I can't identify this model. I haven't been able to find a single photo of a system that matched mine either. All I can make out on the remote is "MADE IN USA".

I'm posting with the wild hope that someone will recognize this system (see attached picture) or that they can possibly find out what systems were installed on Camaro's in 1992... ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Alarm trouble driving me CRAZY!!!-102_5969.jpg  
Old 07-31-2006, 03:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 95 z28,86 iroc
Engine: 350 lt1,305 tpi
These alarms were installed at the dealer on gm cars and trucks in the early nineties,I know because I have installed a few.I hate to say it but due to the age of the alarm system I think it will be next to impossible to find a new transmitter.You can check at your local dealer to see,but I still do not think you will be able to get one.Your best bet would probably to remove this system and install a newer one.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:37 AM

Car: 1992 Pontiac GTA
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt, 2.73
I disagree with cadman277. You can find a replacement.

The people you need to talk to are Auto Techs Security Systems. Here's a link to their replacement remotes for Code Alarm systems, Catalog Page 58. More than likely the C-RCX-3 or AT-469T model is what you need. You'll will need to remove the back cover of the transmitter so you can find the FCC ID# for definitive proof though. It should be on a sticker on the circuit board.

Auto Techs also repairs broken transmitters, but it is usually more cost effective to replace them.

I've dealt with the company when searching for a replacement remote for my old StealStopper (DEI) system. I would not order online again, as they sent me an unencrypted order confirmation email with my full credit card info displayed within. I would phone the order instead.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:49 PM

Thanks alot for your help you guys

I found an alarm system on there that looks like it has a matching remote (although slightly revised), but the features on my alarm aren't matching that one very closely

Mine has a seperate siren
arm/disarm
hatch release (hold disarm)
panic (both buttons at same time)
starter interrupt
red l.e.d. in the dash (shows when armed, and when its been previously tripped)
impact sensor

I'm still on the search, but getting SO much closer

I really hope I work it all out, because I just can't afford to buy a new system right now.

I have to get an alternator, fab up a different trans mount and get a new one in there, passenger side window motor, fix my HVAC wiring behind the panel, get new shocks and springs in the car, front seats, new glass t-tops to replace my crappy lexan ones, a couple wires to address in the engine compartment before they cause problems, torque arm mount, AND change the fluid in my trans and rearend. lol
Old 07-31-2006, 05:41 PM

Car: 1992 Pontiac GTA
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt, 2.73
Originally Posted by Dizturbed One
I found an alarm system on there that looks like it has a matching remote (although slightly revised), but the features on my alarm aren't matching that one very closely
Hey, make this search easy on yourself. Did you find the FCC ID# or other identifying mark on the transmitter? It's cake after that. The common features you listed could be controlled by a two button remote. Again I say the C-RCX-3 or AT-469T is most likely the replacement you need. Contact those people by phone or email, they will help you out.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:16 PM

i wish i could make it easy on myself

but as i said in the original post, there are NO markings on anything whatsoever, or i wouldn't have even needed help. i can vaguely make out the "Made In USA" on the back of the remote, but everything else is completely rubbed out

i've had it completely apart, and there is no FCC ID on the circuitboard either.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:12 PM

Here is an updated picture for better reference

The problem with the remotes you have listed for me... Is that none of them look like the one I have, and they look like 6 to 7 other remotes.

I need to know the model number of one that looks like mine (although it will probably be hard, because it undoubtedly has looked different since the mid 90's)
Attached Thumbnails Alarm trouble driving me CRAZY!!!-home-015.jpg