Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

accidently grounded ignition wire

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 firebird
Engine: 350 vortec heads
Transmission: t5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 open diff
accidently grounded ignition wire

i was putting my motor back together after readjusting the rockers(took intake off the see lifter,motor wasnt running good enought to adjust then)and i accidently touched the white ignition wire to ground that hooks the the in cap coil on my hei distributor.now im not getting any spark.is that wire hooked to a fuse because i cant fint any burnt ones.like an idiot i geuss i left the battery hooked up and the ignition on while i took the motor half apart
Old 04-12-2006, 06:56 PM
bee guz

Hi sparky

Just kidding I think you cooked the modual
Old 04-12-2006, 07:10 PM

well the wire wasnt hooked to the distributor when i grounded it.i was going to hook it up when i accidently touched it to the firewall
Old 04-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 T/A
Engine: HSR 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi
Maybe you can see the fuses in a wiring diagram- there's a link in my sig.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:19 PM
bee guz

grounded wire

I think you just completed the circut, those moduals are a little nuts, you can be useing one for years and the go bad at the drop of a hat. for instance just shutting the car off and restarting some time they just pop, go to the yard of junk, get 2 or 3 buy one put the other 2 in your pocket
Old 04-13-2006, 02:00 AM

i think your right bee guz.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:49 AM
bee guz

power failure

To best of my knowlage those cars have no fuseable links in the ign. system, did you check to see if you have power at the big red or orange wire coming in to the distributor, disconect wire from dist turn key on, check with test light,or better yet a multimeter on low setting (20) you should have at least 11 to 13 volts, depending if your battery is up, if no power there run a wire from + side of battery to post where the heavy was on the dist. check at a plug wire to see if you have spark(the cars more than likely flooded so if it was going to start it will take some cranking) but if you get spark at the wires stop put wire back on give it a shot,if it just cranks &cranks put a set of I think # 26 autolites they keep changing numbers on those plugs, they are more than liklly fouled by gas by now. I f no spark at wires check the rotor and make sure it not shorted look at the bottom and see if you can see a small blue or brown spot about 1/4" or so it could be shorting back into the dist. shaft, you can check that with applying power to one end and check with multimeter or test light, If none of this works try moduals like I said from junk yard, I dont know how many pins are on that one just find one that is similar out of pont. buick,chev,olds, anything around your year GM with a dist. HOPE THIS HELPS bee
Old 04-13-2006, 05:24 PM

well i dont have spark.my car was origanally a tbi so the wires going to the coil were red and white.according to manuel the red goes to tach and white to power source.my next step is to pull the dist and hook it to a battery ground a plug and spin it by hand see if it sparks.(the way i tested it before it ever went into the car)since i dont have a volt meter.