Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

can't find back up light connector

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006 | 02:22 PM

can't find back up light connector

Where does the two wire connector from the back up light switch on a 5 speed connect into the wiring harness. We are doing an engine swap and cannot find the connector. Need to trace the wires from where ever they attach to the harness.

Thanks
Ric
Old 04-05-2006 | 08:19 AM

Someone help. If you have a five speed please take a look and see where the wires go. I got a connector from the junk yard need to know where the wires go now.

Thanks
Ric
Old 04-05-2006 | 11:49 AM

Car: 1988 Camaro(92 Z28 clone)
Engine: Forged 383, AFR 195 419/430@wheels
Transmission: Monster 700R4 Yank 3600 stall
Axle/Gears: 9in Detroit locker-3.90's,35 spline
I'll try to help you out even though I have the same problem sort of. The reverse connector plugs into the transmission(obviously) and travelled on the top of the tranmission. It went on top of the bellhousing and then met with the main harness below the distributor. Come to think of it, there was one branch off of the main harness, and I believe that it was for the distributor wiring, and the other was for the reverse light connector. When I was removing my harness (I decided to go carb, no need for the ecm) I accidentally cut the reverse light wiring/connector. Now that I'm going back together with it, I also need to find that wire and resplice it back in. There are 2 wires on the reverse light connector one blue and the other is green. Both wires go into the main harness that goes through the firewall on the driver's side. Here is a picture of my connector....

Also, I have heard that there are two different styles of connectors for the reverse lights depending on what year car you have so mine might look different.
Attached Thumbnails can't find back up light connector-reverse.light.connector.jpg  
Old 04-05-2006 | 01:13 PM

Thanks

I checked the wires that come out of the firewall on the drivers side. And all of them are used. I cut off the entire computer harness that comes from the passenger side door pillar so I was thinking that it probably came out of there. Are you sure it comes from the bulk head connector on the drivers side. (I am also doing a swap mine is 6cylinder multi port to 8cyl carb)

anyone have a pin out diagram for the bulk head connector on the passenger side door pillar?

Ric
Old 04-05-2006 | 01:22 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro(92 Z28 clone)
Engine: Forged 383, AFR 195 419/430@wheels
Transmission: Monster 700R4 Yank 3600 stall
Axle/Gears: 9in Detroit locker-3.90's,35 spline
Well, I never did pay attention to where the wires came from but I don't see why the ECM would need to see reverse. I just *assumed* that it was going into the drivers side harness. Realistically, the reverse light connector has power on one side and the other side is ground. The power flows to the connector from the power souce ie. fuse block and when the shifter is put in reverse, it grounds the circuit inside the transmission and allows power to flow to the reverse light bulbs. What is really needed is a diagram of the reverse light circuit to see where the wires need to go and then you can route them however you want.
Old 04-05-2006 | 03:39 PM

As far as I understand there is a blue wire that comes from the fuse panel and supplys power to one side of the switch. The switch is normally open until you put it in revers then the switch closes and allows power to flow thru the green wire. The green wire goes someplace (that is what I am trying to figure out) into the engine compartment then gets routed to the green wire in the rear light wire harness. The ground for the circuit is in the rear wire harness after the bulbs. I connected a hot wire to the light green wire feeding the rear harness and the back up lights come on so I am sure this is the correct wire. What I am trying to figure out without tearing everything apart is where that light green wire travels through the firewall and eventually ends up at the switch on the transmission. If I knew that I could hook the switch up without running a ton of extra wire.

Thanks
Ric