Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Radio Lights Go Off When I Turn On Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87' GTA
Engine: 350 L98 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-Bolt
Radio Lights Go Off When I Turn On Headlights

Ok, couple of weeks ago, my car was acting up very badly, I took it to Autozone (Lesson Learned ) to have my battery and alt. checked, well, the alt. was fine, the battery needed recharging, we charged it, and it turned out good, so when they put the battery back in the car, i started it up and turned on my headlights......

Well, when I do that the digital clock on my stock radio goes out, along with no little red letters coming on...

The strange this is, that I can still hear the radio, and I can still change the volume and channels, but I cant see the digital numbers.
When I turn on the head/parking lights, they come back on,

My question is this, what's causing this to happen and will an aftermarket radio shut off when I turn on the lights?

My new radio comes in this week and I dont want to take a chance on blowing something in it because of something that's gone faulty.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The illumination wire connects to the parking light switch which turns on the dash lights and dimms the lights on the stock radio when the switch is on. The circuitry in the radio that causes the lights to change brightness is probably the part that is bad in the radio. I think its just a faulty radio. A new radio should fix it.