Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

firebird headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 rs camaro
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
firebird headlights

How do you turn the headlights on in an '83 firebird? The lights turn on but they're not popping up like they're suppose to. The battery I'm using is almost dead, but it's got enough power to make the heater motor work. The ignition is screwed up, but I cracked the column open and pushed the little rod thing in to the run position but I haven't got the car to start yet.

Does the car have to be running. Is there another switch I need to turn on or something other than the main headlight switch? What's the two little ***** that say open under the hood next to the headlights? Are they just bad?

I got this car just for the rearend, but I want to find out what all works so I can sell the stuff I don't need.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:21 PM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 408
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt/4.11
No there is no other button to push. Just pushing the headlight switch should pop them open. Open the hood and watch the little ***** on top of the headlight motors when you push the switch. If they spin byut the headlight dont open then the plastic gears inside are stripped. If they do not spin then they are not getting power, the motors are bad, or you have a electrical problem such as a bad fuse, blown relay or bad ground.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:12 PM

Car: 1985 Trans Am/ Recaro w/webbed headrests (AS5)?
Engine: Code F
Transmission: 700, shame, ain't it?
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Borg-Warner posi
lights

OK, so you want to know how headlights work? In the early model years, like yours, the headlight motors were controlled by the dash switch, and a combination of 3 relays. Later on, an electronic control module was substituted. Two of the relays are the same, and they are called "actuator" relays (KEM AR255) and are available at any parts store. They are usually mounted on the fenders, toward the front of the wheel well. The third is called an "isolation" relay, and has the same plug and wiring connector as the other two, BUT has a diode in it, and acts as a DC reversing contactor, so the polarity is reversed, and the motor changes direction. This relay is located on the rad support, passenger side. If you do happen to install three actuator relays, (common mistake), the headlights can be wound up manually, (they won't go up automatically), HOWEVER, if they are connected to power, they will go down automatically when the dash switch is turned off. As far as I have found, the isolation relay is a dealer only item. When I got my T/A, there were three actuator relays installed, that's how I learned all this with a little help from a Haynes wiring diagram, it showed the diode in the third relay. The most common failure of these relays is condensation, or plain old water getting in them, and rotting them out. I have had the occasion to crack them open carefully, clean and lube, and then re-seal them with RTV black. Hope this helps, and wasn't too long winded.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:09 AM

Car: 1992 rs camaro
Engine: 305
wow, thanks for all the info. Fortunately, it ended up just being a weak battery. I put it on the charger for a couple of hours yesterday and they both pop up now.

I also have another question though, what is the little square button next to the rear defroster switch? My 1992 camaro's interior is completely different from the firebird and I was just wondering what it is.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:49 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx
Engine: Turbo KA24DE
Transmission: 5 spd
Axle/Gears: 4.08 VLSD
Originally posted by dillardracer
wow, thanks for all the info. Fortunately, it ended up just being a weak battery. I put it on the charger for a couple of hours yesterday and they both pop up now.

I also have another question though, what is the little square button next to the rear defroster switch? My 1992 camaro's interior is completely different from the firebird and I was just wondering what it is.
The one with the yellow rectangular light? Just a light. Not a button, as it took me a while to figure out.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:12 PM

Car: 1985 Trans Am/ Recaro w/webbed headrests (AS5)?
Engine: Code F
Transmission: 700, shame, ain't it?
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Borg-Warner posi
It may pop the trunk, but I couldn't say for sure.