Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Firebird/TA/GTA Nordskog Digital Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Firebird/TA/GTA Nordskog Digital Gauges

Well, I don't understand why Nordskog would put together a digital gauge set for Camaro's 82-92, but wouldn't for the 82-92 firebird/TA/Formula/GTA?

I mean their sales pitch for us is to buy their create-a-dash that costs $120 more than the gauges they make for Mustangs and Camaro kits.

I say, all of us firebird/GTA/Trans AM/Formula owners should email them with demands to create the dash cluster for our cars.

Anyone else interested in this?

Old 01-23-2006, 07:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1995 Formula; 1976 Trans Am
Engine: LT1; None
Transmission: T56; None
I just saw, in a thread in this forum, that you can send your stock gauge cluster to Dakota Digital and for under $900 they will convert your cluster to digital. Pricey, but cool if you have the money.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:46 PM

Here is the response I got from "Mike" at Nordskog:

Kelly,

We would love to create a direct fit panel for every car out there, including yours. However, it is costly to develop new panels and we must pick and choose, based primarily on current and projected demand, which panels to make first. Although a Firebird dash is on the list, there
are several panels with higher demand ahead of it on the engineering schedule, so I don't know exactly when we will get to it.

In the meantime, how different is the Firebird dash from the Camaro dash of the same year/vintage? Is it possible to fit the Camaro dash into the Firebird? In many cases, our panels will fit many more applications that we
specify simply because we have not yet been able to try to fit each panel in every dash. If you have photos, I can take a look and see if something other than the DP10003 will work.

Thanks,

Mike
So it sounds like there was more of a demand for Camaro's 82-92 than there were for firebirds.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2012 Nissan Leaf
Engine: 80-kW AC synchronous electric motor
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: n/a
900?!?!?!

just so you all know there was a STOCK digital dash offered in GTAs. it would be cheaper (then 900$!) to buy used (maybe even new) stock equipment to convert to this style.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:06 AM

Car: 88 Trans am GTA
Engine: 2002 Ls1
Transmission: t-56
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 4.11 gears w/ locker
Re: Firebird/TA/GTA Nordskog Digital Gauges

this is probably an old thread, but how hard is it to convert from a firebird dash to a camaro dash?
Old 01-23-2008, 03:06 PM

Old thread, new news from Nordskog Instruments. We now have the ability to create new direct fit panels more quickly for more models, probably including the Firebird family. Using our new process, the first thing we need is an OEM insturment cluster for use during the design phase of the project. Anyone willing to temporarily donate an instrument cluster, which will not be damaged during the process, will qualify for a discount on the retail price, plus get one of the first production versions of the new direct fit dash panel. If anyone is interested, please contact Nordskog for details.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:38 PM

I have a Firebird V6 cluster that should work. I don't mind paying shipping, but you can have it as I do not want it back.

But this cluster is similar to all other clusters in the firebird family other than the calibration of the tachometer and the speedometer. Just get me an address and attention to send it.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: SBC 400
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 2.77

Originally Posted by kaylin4u
I have a Firebird V6 cluster that should work. I don't mind paying shipping, but you can have it as I do not want it back.

But this cluster is similar to all other clusters in the firebird family other than the calibration of the tachometer and the speedometer. Just get me an address and attention to send it.
Just wondering if you ever sent this out...I too have been wanting a direct replacement gauge setup for the Firebird, so I'd like to see them make one.