Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Yellow or blue top optima

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 10:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: TBI
Transmission: 700r4
Yellow or blue top optima

Ok so this air ride compressor appears to be the death of the duralast, i've been wanting to toss a optima in it for some time but this ones still good althouhg it was in the car when i bought it, my issue is someone has told me i should run a blue top optima opposed to the yellow, i am running a 900 watt fosgate amp and the compressor whioch draws 19.6 amps, i am running a switch on teh compressor so i can turn it off if the cars off or if it for some reason decides to run when the cars is in storage, but it still is taking alot of power out of the poor thing, will a yeloow support what i need for worry free starting or should i run a blue just to be on teh safe side, and i am running a 165 amp alternator since i'm sure it will come up, i just dont wanna be the guy who has to start his car evertime someone wants me to "play" with it
Old 12-24-2005, 09:22 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
No battery is going to survive that kind of parasitic load. You cutout switch is probably the best thing you can do. I've used Johnson Controls' regular batteries for years, and they always seem to last about six years whetther they are in storage, daily use, cold, hot, whatever. I've load tested a few Red Top Optimas that were about two years old and they've failed miserably. I've also seen them that are over six years old and so just fine. If you know you have a heavy demand, installing something that has a bit more A/Hr reserve may be a good choice. I'm not sure what color the plastic would be on that model.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:56 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 83 POS monte carlo 2015 chevy P/U
Engine: 92 5.7 tpi 5.3
Transmission: 700r4 6L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.42 too high
i fully agree with what Vader said, but i have something to add.

you may want look into getting a battery isolator & mounting a second battery somewhere leaving the one under the hood for starting only. but remember, an alternator is not a battery charger, even with a hi-amp alternator using it to charge a dead battery will sooner or later kill the alternator.
also, each time you deeply discharge a battery it looses some of its reserve.

this is what i have been told by both Interstate & Exide about the optima type batteries, when they are either completely or near completely discharged, they need to be slowly recharged at a
low rate to get them all the way back up.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: TBI
Transmission: 700r4
i charge any battery slowly, have a trickle charger that has always been good to us the battery i have in there now is a duralast from autozone, it was in there when i got the car 2 years ago and i thinks its about 4 years old so its no suprise if it goes on me, its been starting for me the last two days and really isnt taking as big of a load as i thought it was going to....however i dont have the system in the back yet....I'm going to look at some optimas tomorrow and see what i can find, any ideas where to get them "cheaper"?