Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Small Electrical Problem, TACH, BAT GAUGE

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small Electrical Problem, TACH, BAT GAUGE

Hey guys, I have a couple probs. I took the computer out of the car and just got my engine running again. I did everything right, rewired the fuel pump, and the fans with relays. Anyways, having some issues. One is the battery gauge no longer reads, two is the tach doesn't work (the white wire going to my distributer is pluged in to the right port on the dist) and the last problem is the only thing that isn't getting power on my fuse box is the extra "accessory" places for extra power. I've been looking at wireing diagrams, and I just can't figure out the battery one, where does that connect to the wire harness? Also, with the tach, is it just a straight wire to the dist? Can both of these be a blown fuse? I checked them before I started the car but haven't had a chance yet to play around iwth these problems, hoping someone might be able to help me figure out where to poke around.

Thanks

Matt
Old 10-23-2005, 04:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: Internal Combustion
Transmission: Completed
Axle/Gears: ones that turn.
The tach signal wire runs straight (more or less ) to the coil.
If the temp and oil pressure gauges work, then the 'GAUGES' fuse should be fine.
For the accessory terminals, are you checking them with the key turned to ACC or ON? these are switched power terminals, and don't have power all the time; only the BAT terminal does.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:48 PM

Yeah key on, engine running. BAT has no signal. The tach also has no signal.

Matt
Old 10-24-2005, 01:04 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Car: 2002 WS6 A4
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23
my tach doesnt work either...powers up when the key goes in but wont move with the revs of the car..
Old 10-27-2005, 10:38 PM

Might have solved it, it seems the wire on the top connector at the alternator. Hard to describe, there were two wires going to this connector. One was hot, the other was not and I thought went to the computer at the time. I might of sniped it and i shouldn't of. GRR i thought i did this right. Anyways is that the wire that goes to my batt gauge by any chance?

Thanks

Matt