Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Viper alarm switches

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt/3.27 Posi
Viper alarm switches

Looking under my dash to fix burnt bulb, I notice some switches. I know Viper alarms have switches, but I'm not exactly sure what they do. (Car came with a Viper, but I have no idea what model or anything). I figured out that I can turn on the interior light when the alarm is deactivated, and stays on untill the car starts. But I hope there is more to it then that.

Here's a pic to help explain. Ones a button, and the other two are toggle swtiches. The one on the right is an ON/OFF switch, currently ON.
Name:  HotShot20.jpg
Views: 4143
Size:  76.1 KB

Name:  HotShot21.jpg
Views: 2089
Size:  14.6 KB
And the remote, (bit blurry, but you get the point), 4 button, anyone know what model alarm I could have? Says, "FCC ID:EZSDEI494" on the back of it.

If anyone knows about Viper alarms or can direct me somewhere else it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:26 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
That switch is known as the "Valet" switch. it serves to deactivate the alarm on certain occasions when you do not wish for it to be going off. Like at a funeral or church service to give you an idea.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:12 AM

Hmm, I'll have to try it sometime. So the alarm won't go off when I activate it? I see its purpose, but I probably won't be using it.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:18 PM

There should only be two controls down there related to the alarm, unless some type of custom installation was done. Might be worth your while to drop the dash and see what that "on" switch off to your right is all about.

Anyway, here are how the two switches work:

PUSHBUTTON: That's the valet switch. It serves two functions:
1. You can deactivate the alarm so it won't bother garage attendants and mechanics. As long as your alarm does not arm all by itself after you close the doors, your mechanic won't care anyway.

2. If the remote is broken or lost, you operate the valet switch in a certain sequence with the ignition key---this shuts the alarm off and allows you to drive until you can replace the remote.

I can't remember the procedure to operate the valet switch on a Viper unit. Go to www.directed.com and read the owner's manual for any one of their alarms.

TOGGLE SWITCH: This controls the remote starter (if you have one). When the switch is in the off position, the remote start feature will not work. This keeps you safe when perfrorming repairs under the hood. Also, you're supposed to turn the switch "off" when parked in a garage so you won't fumigate your house, even though no one does that.

OTHER TOGGLE SWITCH: Again, that's probably not part of the alarm---follow the wires behind it and see where they go.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:01 PM

Car: '83 Firebird S/E
Engine: The Chevy 305. with carburator
Transmission: 700R-4
These switches are supposed to be hidden. I bet that the alarm panel is right there, above the hush-panel. Give me your address, as I can use a parts car.

Seth
Old 08-26-2005, 04:44 PM

I don't have command start, so I guess the ON/OFF switch does nothing. I played around with them today and the other toggle switch will turn on the interior lights when the alarm is deactivated, and keep them on until the key is in the ON position

Originally posted by NoTransistors
These switches are supposed to be hidden. I bet that the alarm panel is right there, above the hush-panel. Give me your address, as I can use a parts car.

Seth
Is this the alarm panel your referring too?
Name:  HotShot22.jpg
Views: 2773
Size:  57.8 KB

I don't want to play around with it too much, but I would still like to know what model I have. Would it say somewhere on the hardware?
Old 08-26-2005, 05:43 PM

Car: '83 Firebird S/E
Engine: The Chevy 305. with carburator
Transmission: 700R-4
If that is the alarm panel, then wonderful; but it does look like some sort of engine control module .As I have said, my panel is in the rear glovebox, and the siren is hidden by the splash shield that covers the fuel filler pipe. The panel could use a cool, dry spot, and under-the-hood does not qualify as such.
I also have a wire running to the horn relay that triggers the horn just like the horn button does.
So, is that the alarm module, or is it over the hush panel? I would really like to know.
P.S.- The other switch could be to enable the starter circuit when the alarm craps out.

Seth
Old 08-26-2005, 07:50 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
I do believe that the unit you have circled there is the headlight door module.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by Trickster
I do believe that the unit you have circled there is the headlight door module.
I quickly followed the wires, and they went to the 3 fuses and also to the speaker I think. I'll take a look under the dash later and find out.

Theres alot of wires coming from there too, so I just assumed.