Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1L V6
Transmission: 4spd automatic
Codes

Hey guys....hope someone can help me.I see alot about these codes and even have a printout of all of them.My question is...how do I get them to show up and where do they show up?

I'm still having a problem with my RS starting when shes warm.Yesterday I started her tached it up a few times,ran her around the block and when I parked her in the driveway,shut her off and tried to start her all she does is crank but not kick over.Let her sit overnight and she starts right up next morning.

I've gotten a few different opinions from friends...coil (which I changed out,not the prob) bad ECM,Cat.Conv. or a cam sensor(?).The engine is brand new and only has 2200 miles on it but the rest of the stuff that I put on the long block is probably original equip.(92)

Its really got me stumped....

~Bob
Old 08-08-2005, 10:21 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Have you checked the ignition control module in the distributor? If it goes bad it will often times let you start the car when it is cold but refuse to work when it is hot. BTW, this item won't throw a code and the same is true for the pick-up coil located above it.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:04 AM

Thanx guy,I'll give it a look.Is there a way I can tell its bad??Some one else had mentioned the distributer too,so I'll give her a look.

~Bob
Old 08-09-2005, 05:20 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
The ignition module can be tested at advance auto and some other parts stores. You would have to remove it and take it in to the store for them to test.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Chevy Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Hey guys....hope someone can help me.I see alot about these codes and even have a printout of all of them.My question is...how do I get them to show up and where do they show up?
The codes will show up as flashes from the "Service Engine Soon" (SES) light. The ALDL connector that is described below is under the steering column, right next to the fuse box under the dash. You will want to go from pin 5 to 6 on your car.

From the FAQ:
Q: How can I display the error codes from a Service Engine Light?

A: If your car does not have the 12 pin DLC connector, you may not be able to manually "flash" your trouble codes. The language "may be possible" appears to suggest that this method should work with most, if not all, 12 pin DLC equipped cars.

THE CONNECTOR

-----------------------
| 1 2 3 4 5 6 |
| 7 8 9 10 11 12 |
-----------------------

DISPLAYING THE TROUBLE CODES
Run a wire/hairpin from Pin 6 to Pin 12 with the ignition off (although on later cars it should be from Pin 5 to Pin 6), then turning the ignition to the on position without starting the engine will flash the "Service Engine Soon" light in the following sequence: flash, pause, flash-flash, long pause flash, pause, flash-flash, long pause flash, pause, flash-flash, long pause Following this "12" code repeating three times will come any trouble codes stored, flashing each of them three times. If you do not see the "12" flash three times, your diagnostic circuit is defective.
Some vehicles will display stored trouble codes, then "12" again, followed by energizing "most system controlled relays." The fuel pump relay will not energize. The idle air control valve will fully extend to enable checking minimum idle speed.

CLEARING THE TROUBLE CODES
Turn the keyswitch to the off position. To clear any trouble codes, disconnect the power feed for 30 seconds. If this is done at the battery, and your car stereo is equipped and programmed with a four digit pin code, you may have to re-enter that as well to use your stereo again. A better place to remove power is at the fuse.

Last edited by Benm109; 08-09-2005 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:11 PM

Hey thanx Trickster....soon as I find the time I'm gonna take it off and have it checked.Need a socket to get it off....whatever happened to the good ole days when they had the flip clips to hold down the cap????

~Anyway....workin 12 hr days makes it tough too.I'll let ya know what comes of this.

~Bob