Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

VATS Help...I am out of ideas!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 08:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Z28 Vert
Engine: 305
Transmission: TKO
Axle/Gears: 3.55 10-bolt
VATS Help...I am out of ideas!

Here is the low down...89 TBI with VATS.

Car wont start...no crank...no nothing, all accessories work. Jumpered the A&C terminals on the Starter Enable Relay and she cranks but doenst start (no fuel) which from what I have read is fairly typical with a VATS problem. (ended up replacing the relay..but still problem persists)

Checked Resistance on the key....and then on the connector running down the steering column when I disconnected it. Resistance reads the same with the key in the lock...turn the key and it goes to Zero. From what I have read this is typical too..since those wires are probably shot in the cylinder...right?

Tried to bypass the vats given the article I read in the tech archives by wiring a resistor into the system nd I still cant get this thing to start! Tried wiring the resistor in before and after the connector and still no luck..I thought it might be that but nope.

I am really at a loss with this one....any suggestions? Could it be I tried things without not enough time between them...I have heard it has a "time lock out"...but I disconnected the battery anytime I did anything.

HELP....I am really at a loss now!
Old 05-21-2005, 01:55 AM

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42
i believe a safe margin is like 10 min after a no start do to vats i have the same setup as you, had same problem what I did was buy a multimeter to test ohms lke you did already, see what the resistance is of the pellet in key, then get a resistor that is close to that mark than buy a petentiometer i know i didn't spell that right but this will bring you even closer to whatever ohm resistance you are trying to reach, I belive a 5 percent difference is all the computer will handle without shutting down the spark or fuel...
Old 05-24-2005, 08:43 AM

Vats module found in the ducting of the Air conduits, creates the signal to the ECM. The wire to the Vats, a Most promising failure of the N/S condition is usually due to resistance . however in any case, a simple ON and Off engine cycle with a Code scanner, Can tell you if the value being read is correct.. THe VATS PASS/Fail is a readable function sent from the ALDL to any Tech 1 Scan Tool. So acquire this and your guessing will stop.. you should be using the TECH 1 and not a ALdumby Key. some of those Code scanners mearly convert the pulses into a nice grahpic display. But hte Tech 1 Lets you view the DATA stream.. Good Luck..

BTW . My 1989 iroc DOES NOT have a Fuel pump Cut off when Vats Fails... It completely disables IGN and Injectors only.. And the lead wire to the Fuel Pump relay is connected to the Oil Pressure switch,, which keeps your fuel pump operating while your engine is running.. Defeating the purpose of the fuel pump cutoff, becuase if you crank long enough, the oil pressure activates your fuel pump.. But I dont know if this is true on all models. Just how it is on mine from the factory..
Old 05-25-2005, 12:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: "02 z-28
Engine: LS-1
Transmission: 4L60E
Not all guys here have the luxury of a Tech San tool. As was stated by Dollar make sure the resistance of the key matches as close to the resistor. They are not EIA standard resistor codes, a potentiometer is the best thing to use. A cheap DVM and a pot should get you out of trouble.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:15 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Z28 Vert
Engine: 305
Transmission: TKO
Axle/Gears: 3.55 10-bolt
thanks for all the help guys...I got her going...I think it just wasnt working when I first tried it because it was "lockign me out"....but I gave it a day..tried it again and viola.

Thanks,
D