Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Taillight rewiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taillight rewiring

I'm sure about a million people have dealt with this, but I couldn't come up with the magic keywords to get a good hit with the search.

In my 85 bird I have part of an 87 wiring harnesses that came from my 83

Make sense? No?, well it don't matter...

What matters is I firmly believe this is last hurdle of my V6 to V8 swap.

Now I have the engine and dash harness (including column, swapped to standard as well) from an 85 and taillight harness from an 87 with the much nicer taillights (IMO).

So I have a dash harness that expecting taillights that don't have seperate amber turn signals.

I have a Yellow(LH turn + stop) and a DK Green (RH turn and stop) that need to go to a Blue(stop), Yellow(LH turn) and DK Green (RH turn).

Is there an easy solution?

Just thought of something; How does it 'know' to send power to the yellow and green wires when the brake is pressed? there is a white and orange wire going to the brake switch. the white wire is powered only when the brake pressed. Could I cut the white wire and run it the blue wire(stop) in the tail harness? hmmmm. The white wire must go somewhere after and then branch off into the turn signals for the old setup.

As with half my posts that almost get posted, I might have answered my own question. Typing out the problem deciding how to phrase it to make sense to someone else seems to make the brain budge a bit.

but before I butcher some more wiring, comments are appreciated.

TIA

Last edited by Blade3001; 10-26-2004 at 11:43 PM.