Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Preference on plugs, wires, and cap.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 10:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Iroc Z28
Engine: The KING of the 3rd gen TPI's.
Transmission: Beefed up T5
Axle/Gears: Aussie 3.45's
Preference on plugs, wires, and cap.....

Guys, time for the spring tune up. It's been 4 years since my last one ( 20,000 miles). I haven't been up to date with the latest is performance plugs, wires, and cap. What's new and what works well?

I don't care spending the money, as long as I'm getting quality products. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 90 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5
I have just done the same thing with my car, the changing of plugs and such. Anyway, when it comes to them and choosing the parts, go with your gut. I have found that by asking on this board that it causes arguments and no one really knows the right answer. I purchased the Platinum 4 from Bosch, and love them, others have had problems (their cars probably are not running right). Go with your gut I say, do what you want, get some opinions, then do the opposite!
Old 04-06-2004, 04:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Chevy Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I also did a tune-up recently. I used Autolite plug wires, regular AC Delco spark plugs, and a GP Sorensen cap and rotor. Just like the previous post stated, go with your gut and go to the store you plan on buying the stuff from and just look at the different brands and pick what fits your budget. You usually get what you pay for, though.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:52 PM

Received 367 Likes on 286 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73
I have almost always used AC delco plugs. Can't go wrong with Autolites either.

As for splitfires and +4's etc, I think some cars love'em, some cars hate'em. I don't think there is really a "wrong" or a "right" answer.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:01 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.45
MSD wires, cap and rotor. I have a MSD distributor so my cap and rotor came with it. Also, if your gona replace the coil, go with the MSD Blaster Coil. I wouldnt put a Blaster coil in unless your gona go with an MSD distributor though as I had problems blowing out ignition modules in stock distributors with the Blaster coil.

As for plugs, just go with AC Delcos unless you want to bust out the cash for NGK Iridium plugs, they are the only ones to show any HP gain in dyno testing (source: My best friend went to the School Of Automotive Machinists and put together some of their race motors while he was there. He said only the NGKs showed any power increase on the dyno). My family owns a auto repair shop and I can tell ya, the platnium plugs are only good if you wana get milage out of the plugs and dont care about the extra money. The Bosche 4+ and the Splitfire plugs are BS. They dont give ya any HP gains. You'll do fine with regular Delco plugs.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 252 Likes on 188 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45
Another spark plug debate! LOL! As already said, go with what you want. You'll hear one "expert-know-it-all" after another tell you what's crap and what's not. But MOST of them don't have a clue because they've never had the guts to try anything "different." So if there's some new plug that intrigues you, try it.

No plug is a gimmick. They all work just fine. If you know your car well, then with some you'll feel a difference, but with most you probably won't, which won't mean they don't work--just that you won't notice anything different. But they'll still do the job just like any other plug. I KNOW because I've tried just about every "new" plug in either my Formula or my everyday car. But most who'll post negatively are most likely blowing smoke, LOL!

I usually don't speak-up about this, I just sit and read and laugh, lol. But I'm getting tired of all the crapola I read, so I had to say something this time. So ok, let the great debate continue!!!

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 04-07-2004 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:36 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

And the site is taking a break again while trying to move this topic to the top, lol. HELLO?!
Old 04-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

And again! WAKE UP SITE!

FINALLY, LOL!

As for plug wires, mid-'87 was the change-over to the separate coil, so most companies don't designate a set for '87 since they don't know which coil you have. If you have the separate coil, then it's a "late" '87(or '88+) for wires.

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 04-07-2004 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:52 PM
Supreme Member

I dunno. I don't think all plugs, wires, and caps are the same. Reason I ask is because the last tune up I had purchased NGK platinum plugs, Taylor 8mm wires and cap upon the suggestion of a reputable mechanic here in town with his own high performance shop. The other day, had another mechanic who has worked on Chevy camaros for years was insistant I use AC Delco products all the way. Obviously I'm not looking for horsepower here, but I want to make sure I make efficient and reliable use of the horsepower I have with quality products that work. Like I said haven't taken a look to see what's out there today....not easy to decide by simply going with my "gut" instinct.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:58 PM

Car: 1978 El Camino
Engine: 3??
Transmission: th350junk
i use taylor wires(make your own style) acdelco r45ts plugs indexed and MSD cap coil and module., there is nothing worse then having wires to long under the hood,and i also have centerbolt heads and use those smoothie wire holders that bolt to the top of the valvecovers using new allenkey bolts.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:20 PM

Car: 88 IROC-Z - original owner!
Engine: LB9 with K&Ns, MSD, Foil, Taylor
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt, 3.45 posi
I have an 88 IROC with the external coil. Does MSD or any other aftermarket house make an ignition module that goes inside the distributor which improves the peformance? I know that both MSD and Accel make aftermarket direct fit coils for this application, does anyone here have one and like it?
Old 04-08-2004, 07:11 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.45
Im pretty sure MSD makes ignition modules that will fit in a stock distributor. I had a lot of ignition problems after installing my MSD 6A box and Blaster 2 coil but they may be the result of crappy wiring but Id still be careful.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:13 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

freestylzz, I didn't say they're all the same. I said they'd all do the job--they'll all work. Everyone(mechanics, the people on these boards, etc.) will tell you something different, and that's cool because each thing works. Where they'll go too far is by saying that something else WON'T work. And that's where the comes in, lol. But whether or not you notice any difference is more about you knowing the feel of your car and whether or not it's running properly to begin with(as Transamman87 hinted at above).

But I'm wondering, is your car running poorly? If so, then I doubt it's because of your plugs and wires. You just did all this 20,000 miles ago, and with your platinum plugs and your Taylor 8mm wires, you should be good to go for quite awhile yet. I'm not sure you need to worry about this right now.

racindaelky78!!! The older gentleman across the street from me has an El Camino too! He just dropped-in a brand new engine recently, and he's got the same wire set-up that you're using. It really looks cool! That took some very loooooong wires. But he didn't cut his own like you did, he used wires from different sets. His car is a late '60s or early '70s, I think, it's bright metallic red, and he's got dual exhaust with LOUD Flowmasters! He's my "extra set of hands" when I need more, lol.

Oops! HAHA, I had to edit something above. I'd written it the way I had so I wouldn't imply anything, but I think I might've implied something else instead, lol. So if you just tuned in, you missed it. But if you already saw it, nevermind, lol.

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 04-08-2004 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:38 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Another vote for Delco plugs and MSD distributor parts. As for wires, Delcos and Boschs work great if you have a mostly stock engine. Think about going with MSD 8.5s or Taylor wires if you have a high-performance coil & module or aftermarket ignition box.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:30 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 LG4 & 92 TBI Firebird
Engine: The Mighty 305!
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I like AC Delco standard plugs and Moroso Blue Max wires.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Ok, I never said which plug I use. Between my Formula and my daily driver, I've tried: Bosch(regular platinums, +2 and +4); NGK; "good old" AC Delco; and the dreaded Splitfire, lol.

First off, common sense tells you that each will work just fine--and, yes, EACH DOES WORK. Those are big-time spark plug manufacturers, and they're not gonna risk their names by marketing gimmick products. At worst, you won't notice any difference. But at best, you might be leaving others looking at your taillights, lol. Either way, no harm done, so no worries.

It's called PROGRESS. Products change and improve. Why is that so hard to comprehend? Was it this difficult to get people to believe fuel injection wasn't a gimmick? Ok, some still don't accept that, lol. But unless I try "new" or "different" products, how will I really know what they can do?

So I try them--I'm not afraid. And I think more of you wouldn't be afraid either if so many others on here wouldn't try to pretend they KNOW products with which they've got no REAL experience and make many feel stupid about wanting to know. No matter how many "theories" you read or HEAR about(from your uncle's friend's wife's sister's boyfriend's best-friend who's a rocket scientist at Boeing, LOL), you'll never know unless you try for yourself--IF you really want to know to begin with, that is.

So, from my own REAL experience, ONE spark plug stands alone, showing NOTICEABLE improvements in BOTH fuel economy AND performance/power in BOTH of my cars. Are you ready? Ok. Are you still going to live in denial? Probably, lol. The best spark plug I've used, and is currently in my Formula(which is WHY it's in there), is...
Old 04-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

SPLITFIRE
Old 04-10-2004, 12:53 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Splitfire is without a doubt the most misunderstood, hated, "trashed" spark plug out there. But it's not a gimmick. It works very well. It's gonna take one heckuva great new plug to get me to switch away from Splitfire.

People have said they're "exotic." No, LOL. They're constructed as simply as any basic, "good old" spark plug--except for the V-electrode.

They've said "you don't gap them." Umm, hello? Of course you do. If you didn't, then it's no wonder they didn't work for you.

They've said "you can't use them with high-performance ignitions," LOL. The Splitfire was practically MADE for high-performance ignitions! My ignition is way over stock, and they respond perfectly! But any ignition will do, as shown by my daily driver.

I run the colder plug, the SF2D(stores show the SF2E, but that's incorrect according to Splitfire, which might also be why some have had problems). I have them gapped around .040 instead of the spec .035(for my ignition), and they're awesome!

Think about it... "Goliaths" don't "call-out" "Davids," lol. IT JUST DOESN'T HAPPEN! Goliath would never waste his time on David UNLESS he felt a REAL threat by David. Have you seen what's said by other plug manufacturers? Stuff like, "don't be fooled by Splitfire...," or "the Splitfire adds are...," or on here, "Splitfires are gimmicks," or "bs." HAHA! Why would anyone or any "Goliath" company bother with a defense if it didn't KNOW Splitfires were for real? They wouldn't. They wouldn't waste their time.

Splitfires are REAL friends. They work, no matter what you WANT or CHOOSE to believe. I hope the few of you who use and like them will finally admit it. You KNOW, and I KNOW.

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 04-10-2004 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:39 PM
Supreme Member

Oookeeeeee

Well, I think I'll go with NGK plugs ( the best ones they got ). Taylor or Moroso wires, and I'll look into the MSD caps and coils.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:53 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

LOL. That wasn't all for you. I used your thread as my "platform." But I moved all that info to 'Product Review' for the future.

But cool, there ya go. It's all good.