Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

headlamp motors continually run

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 firebird
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: 5sp
headlamp motors continually run

please help me with this problem

this is a 89 firebird with 100k miles
20A fuse is blown
with the headlamp switch turned on the motors run the whole time, and the headlamp bulbs are the only ones that work no taillights, side marker lights, or dash lights including the heater control lights. when brake pedal is pressed stop lamps all work.
turn signals also work fine.

with the switch off head lamps turn off but stay popped up and motors stop running instantly.

when i replace the fuse every thing works fine a few times except when i turn off the lights the headlamp motors make a few clicking noises about 5 seconds apart for about a minute till it finally stops. but eventually the fuse will blow.

i am not sure where to begin looking for this problem please tell me if anyone has had this problem i would really appreciate it
i have also replaced the battery about 3 weeks ago and i don't remember if this problem was present then i also tryed to charge the battery before that
Old 03-12-2004, 08:09 PM
TA
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '88 GTA, 90 Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI, fed growth hormones
Transmission: 700r4 4u2?
Axle/Gears: 9bolt
You need to go to TDS

Go to the TDS link on the top part of this page. What happens is there are little nylon "shock absorbers" inside the gear area of your headlight motors that allow the motor to engage the driven sector and absorb shocks. (when you take them apart, it will all make sense) These things die and crumble, and the motors cant grab the driven part of the assembly, they just shuffle and thrash around in these tidbits until they get enough to either stop the motor and blow your fuse, or push the headlight doors up.

TDS has a kit, not very expensive, to replace these little shock absorber/bumper deals. You have to pull the headlight motors out of the car and open the bottom up. If you're not sure, Lonny will be happy to help you out.

Good Luck
Troy
So Cal
Old 03-13-2004, 01:35 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
Re: You need to go to TDS

Originally posted by TA
...Lonny will be happy to help you out.

Good Luck
Troy
So Cal
Jeez, no one has called me that since I was a kid. It was spelled "Lonnie" then. But I digress.

Yes I manufacture and sell a couple of versions of headlight repair kit to solve your problem. Order TDS 207280 headlight repair kit if you want just the 3 Delrin bushings (enough to repair one headlight actuator) or TDS 209280 Deluxe Headlight Repair Kit and you'll have enough parts to repair both headlights, new gaskets, new screws & nuts (in case you snap the heads off them upon removal) and a tube or the white lithium grease I recommend.

Lon Salgren
Top-Down Solutions