Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

wiring harness for rear defroster, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring harness for rear defroster, etc...

On my 86 Firebird, there are covers on the dash panel for defroster and rear hatch release and rear widow wiper..I bought a switch for the rear defroster and tried to install because i saw wires going to rear hatch defroster..assuming, the plug ends were behind the covers..wrong..no where to be found ..I heard that there is a wiring harness i must get, to have these functions work..and that this wiring harness just plugs into the inside firewall..Is this true and if so where do you plug it in and what years of firebird/transAm years can i get one out of, cause i know theydont sell anymore..thanks
Old 11-22-2003, 03:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a little distribution box high in the driver's side kick panel. You will have a fat 10 or 12 gauge purple/white wire that plugs into this for power. I don't recall exactly how it's wired up, but you should be able to get what you need from the local yard. Something else to watch for: I heard that some of the switches have the relay built into them, and on some of them it's external. But basically, you flip the switch, it trips the relay, sends power to the back of the car thru the fat purple wire, enters the defroster grid on the driver's side, and goes straight to ground on the passenger side of the car.

Matt

EDIT: I think 87 and before use the distribution panel in the kick.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:10 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Hello Ozzy,

From your post, I take that you received my last e-mail to you. Was not sure since I had not heard back from you. This wiring harness that I mentioned to you will be in cars that have either the rear defroster option or the rear window wiper and washer option from 1985 up until about 1990. Also be advised that even though the purple wire for the rear defroster is present because the rear defroster is an option available with the use of a four connector wire harness extender. You must also have a rear hatch window with the rear defroster heating elements running from the top of the hatch window to the bottom like in a camaro. Since you mentioned to me earlier that your girl friend had said that this car had never had a rear defroster switch in it, I don't think that your rear window is defroster capable unless you have put one in there.

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!