Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Car died while driving...now clicks. Think I know but need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700-R4
Car died while driving...now clicks. Think I know but need advice.

Driving home from work Thursday, I get off the expressway and my stereo stops putting out sound. So I turn off the stereo to troubleshoot that later, but a few blocks down the street, the car shuts off. I then try to restart but get only clicking. Click click click. The lights still worked, it had juice just not a lot. So AAA tows me home.

I just got a new Delco battery two weeks ago and they tested the alt and said it was good. However today I got a jumpstart, let the car run awhile, and disconnected the positive batt cable - car shuts off. So it would appear that the alt at least is bad.

Is there anything other than the alt that could contribute to the symptoms above? I know I will be replacing that and testing the new battery again, but I want to make sure there aren't other problems that could destroy a new alt and/or batt.

Also I recently tested the car for any elec drains when the engine is off - there were a few but I eliminated them, so the battery is not being drawn on at all when the car is off.

Thanks for any advice!