Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Distributor work lost power?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: Soon to be 406
Transmission: unknown most likely TH350
Distributor work lost power?

My car recently died do to the control module going out. So I replaced the control module, cap, rotor, ignition coil almost everything. So the day after I did all of this the car had a serious loss in power. I used to be able to kill burnouts because of my centerforce but now can only get the wheel to spin when Im going around a corner. My car also heats up more now. I have a 160* stat in it with a low temperature fan switch and I know the fan switch is turning the fan on. By the way my car is a 1989 Camaro RS with a TBI 5.0 5spd. The motor only has 80K on it but that has nothing to do with its ability to do burnouts as it was capable of doing them before. I just need to know if I need a whole new distributor shaft or whats going on there.

There is also one more thing if you guys could help me out. I know the choke on the TBI cars are controled by the ECU. My car is really hard to start and keep running. Its almost like the car needs to heat up before it can get going like a carberated car. I need to know why it doesnt keep running because it gets me stranded all the time. Is the ECU going out or is the throttle body. Because if the car doesnt start on the first try it wont start most likely for the next 15 minutes and even then I have to pump the gas to keep it running.

PLEASE HELP ME GUYS IM NOT A MASTER MECHANIC!!!!! AND I NEED MY THIRDGEN BACK SO IF YOU GUYS KNOW ANYONE THAT WOULD KNOW THE ANSWER TO MY PROBLEMS COULD YOU LEAVE A POST.

Thank you soooooooo very much to all of you who read this and try to help me......
Old 08-10-2003, 01:09 PM

first thing I would do is check and recheck the wires, make sure they are going to the proper plugs. I have changed wires and plugs hundreds of times and still every now and again mix a couple of them up. after that check the timming with the proper dist. wire disconnected, running timming too far retarded will not only kill the power but make the car run hot as well.

I am not sure but the TBI doesn't use a choke, the computer uses sensor info to adjust the fuel/air ratio to keep the engine running, check all the sensors and make sure the wires are still hooked up right, its easy to knock one off and not know about it. also try unplugging the battery to the computer for a couple of minutes to reset it, then try it.
Old 08-10-2003, 03:48 PM

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: Soon to be 406
Transmission: unknown most likely TH350
I have already had the timing checked on the car and it wasnt that far off in the first place I will try disconnecting the battery like you said. Is there any way that you could tell me what the sensors name is or where it might be located? Is it the coolant temperature sensor?

Thanks alot Tyler.