Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Quick Alarm System Question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: TH-700R4
Axle/Gears: B&W 2.77 Posi
Quick Alarm System Question...

When I bought my '89 IROC, one of the previous owners had installed a Viper (Model 300) alarm system. The alarm system has never shown any signs of life since I bought the car, so I took the liberty of discarding some of the under-hood components of the system (namely, the hood tamper switch and what looks to be a vibration sensor). I recently found out, however, that the "brain" of the alarm system was simply disconnected.

So, I would now like to try to re-enable the system, but now that I've removed some components, I know that I can expect some trouble. I would like to temporarily "fool" the alarm system into thinking that both the vibrarion sensor and hood tamper switch are not tripped. Are these normally open or normally closed circuits and, depending on that, could I be safe just to leave both disconnected or shorted to ground?

Thanks
Old 07-03-2003, 02:18 PM

with out the shock senor installed there is no point to haveing the alarm installed as for the pin switch you and just unplug it from the "Brain box"

Last edited by My86Firebird; 07-03-2003 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: TH-700R4
Axle/Gears: B&W 2.77 Posi
Thanks for the reply.

I have since hooked the alarm system up, and it's mostly working. Arming/disarming the system causes the doors to lock/unlock and the headlights to blink on and off. The alarm system also kills the starter as long as it is armed--although, given that the fuse box is fully exposed and that the alarm box brain is barely hidden in the same area, I wonder how difficult it would really be for a thief to bypass that.

As it turns out, the hood tamper switch is a normally open circuit. The system is fine with it being disconnected--it's when I short the tamper switch wire to ground that the alarm goes off.

Also, the vibration sensor is fully connected, but I noticed that it takes a lot of "vibration" to set it off. It's suspended from a thin strip of "springy" metal attached to the fender area, and I have to hit it directly with my hand to set it off. I probably just need to adjust the sensitivity, though.

One other thing I need to work on is the siren, which makes absolutely no sound. I'm not sure why, because it appears to be connected. I did notice two black wires comming out of the brain box--one with a male and the other female connector. They could easily be shorted (connected) to each other, but I'm hesitant to do that because I don't know what they do. Mabye they're a siren enabler/disabler? I'm not sure because I know nothing about automotive alarms...