Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Red and white wires to Dizzy and coil

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 02:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '91 GTA
Engine: 402ci LS2
Transmission: faceplated T56
Axle/Gears: 9" w/ 4.11's
Red and white wires to Dizzy and coil

My car won't start and I'm having some weird problems. Crank but won't fire. With coil connector off, there is power to the red wire. As soon as I plug it in, there is power on the red AND the white wires. WTF?!?! This isn't right is it.... I've tried swapping coils and I also had my ignition moduel checked and its ok. I was going to replace it and the pick up coil but if the white wire has power on it, the car is never going to start anyways is it? WTF is going on? Any help GREATLY appreciated. She's sitting in a stranger's parking lot and I want to get her running and get her home soon.....
Old 04-29-2003, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 04 Xtreme Blazer
Engine: 4.3L V6
Transmission: 4L60E
with the key on, connector connected , you will read voltage at the white wire, you are reading through the coil windings, pull the connector and put a test light to power and probe the white wire when someone cranks the car over, the test light should blink(might be real fast, may go bright-dim-bright-dim)if it doesnt blink, you have a prob with wiring,ign module or pick-up coil, if it does blink, make sure you have batt. voltage at the red wire, if yes, check your coil high tension lead, because your coil is getting everything it needs, if the coil lead is ok, try a different coil............................you are getting fuel, right??
Old 04-29-2003, 06:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '91 GTA
Engine: 402ci LS2
Transmission: faceplated T56
Axle/Gears: 9" w/ 4.11's
I wish I would've known this earlier... I ended up putting a new ignition module in and it started right up!! Thats all it was. ANd yes I was getting plenty of fuel. My week old plugs are completely fouled out now. LOL Thanks for the help!!!!