Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Alternator plug - wire problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator plug - wire problem...

I had a problem with the black wire that comes out of the alternator plug on the side of the alternator (the "field" wire, idiot light wire as some call it). The wire no longer will run the alternator. According to the wiring diagram, it goes in the dash to the battery light. I guess it's burnt out, but that's a pain to change.

But here's the thing... I don't have any of the stock motor left in the car, it's HEI carb'd with vacuum advance. So I direct wired the alternator field coil power (the "black wire in the plug") temporarily, and make sure to unplug it when I turn off the car. It's been working for a week.

Today, I decided to find a source of ignition power under the hood, which I got from the harness. Problem is now, the car stays running even when I turn the ignition off! I imagine it has something to do with the fact there's no resistance in the wire. Can anyone suggest a solution to the problem, ie. a resistor value to put on it, or maybe could wiring a dummy light in-line be the solution?
Old 04-05-2010, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350
Transmission: Borg Warner WCT-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45
Re: Alternator plug - wire problem...

Pick a different keyed source. The alternator is keeping it energized with 12v and won't turn it off