Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Msc Questions, Vats, buzzers, and wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Msc Questions, Vats, buzzers, and wiring

I am still working on an 86 Iroc with an 89 Bird harness. Getting alot figured out but got a couple of things I haven't figured out. the 89 has Vats and my Camaro didn't. The car starts and runs but I don't think the Vats system has been defeated. When I put the Fuse into the Courtesy lights the horn starts going off. I also have a fuse taken out in a seperate connector in the console thats also connected to the courtesy lights. I am not very familiar with the Vats system so this one has got me stumped. If the car will start then why does the horn go off when I install the fuse.
Another problem that I have is the car has a warning buzzer that I do not know what its a warning for. Its no the headlight and seatbelt warning, that is a dinger. This is a buzzer. Never had this new a vehicle before so the buzzer is a new one on me! Got lots of other things but thats where I am stumped right now.
THANKS
Old 03-02-2003, 09:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 89 Formula, WS6
Engine: LB9/peanut cam :(
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Msc Questions, Vats, buzzers, and wiring

Originally posted by Wheels
The car starts and runs but I don't think the Vats system has been defeated.
your VATS has been bypassed, one way or another. Your ecm would not fire the fuel injectors any other way. VATS has nothing to do with the horn

When I put the Fuse into the Courtesy lights the horn starts going off. I also have a fuse taken out in a seperate connector in the console thats also connected to the courtesy lights. I am not very familiar with the Vats system so this one has got me stumped. If the car will start then why does the horn go off when I install the fuse.
Pop the cap off the steering wheel and inspect the horn switch wiring. The horn sounds when that connection is grounded

Another problem that I have is the car has a warning buzzer that I do not know what its a warning for. Its no the headlight and seatbelt warning, that is a dinger. This is a buzzer. Never had this new a vehicle before so the buzzer is a new one on me! Got lots of other things but thats where I am stumped right now.
THANKS
I got no ideas there, but if you follow the sound, you'll find the buzzer, and you can unplug it.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:31 PM

That was a quick reply!
Not convinced the Vats is bypassed however. The guy I got it from wasn't the best at wiring but it could be. I tried looking for the 2 yellow wires to defeat it myself but without the firebird key I can't do it anyway!
I will have to check on the horn, I know that at the moment it doesn't work from the wheel so I suppose it could have a bad connection.
As for the buzzer I would like to know what it is before I disconnect it!
THANKS
Old 03-02-2003, 09:36 PM

That was a quick reply!
Not convinced the Vats is bypassed however. The guy I got it from wasn't the best at wiring but it could be. I tried looking for the 2 yellow wires to defeat it myself but without the firebird key I can't do it anyway!
I will have to check on the horn, I know that at the moment it doesn't work from the wheel so I suppose it could have a bad connection.
As for the buzzer I would like to know what it is before I disconnect it!
THANKS
If it's fuel injected, and it still runs, VATS IS defeated. I'll wager a case of beer on it. It's possible the guy had a chip put in it that disables it. There's only 2 ways (to my knowledge) to disable VATS. 1) chip 2)hardwire the proper resistor into the VATS circuit.

I can tell you what that buzzer is

it's annoying. hehe...just my opinion

Could the buzzer be the keys left in the ignition with the door open buzzer?
Old 03-02-2003, 09:45 PM

Well the I will consider Vats defeated! Like I said I am not all that familiar with it. Hate new cars! To much bloody wiring Had an 85 Vette last winter that I guess had Vats but I didn't have it long and I didn't play with anything I didn't have to, to nice a car! It does have a stage one chip from Jet in the Ecm so maybe thats how? Guess I won't worry about it!
I will agree that the buzzer is an annoyance! Hate the things, yet another reason I don't like new cars. Most likely I will pull it along with the headlight dinger but I need to figure out what it is cause I gotta hook some stuff up that when I do it buzzes! I suppose it could be for the keys, the door switches aren't hooked up yet but I thought that was dinger anyway?
Thanks for your help, the vats being gone takes a load off!
Old 03-02-2003, 09:52 PM

Well the I will consider Vats defeated! Like I said I am not all that familiar with it.
Good. Now about that beer wager...you're not too far away from me to drive out my way and drink one with me.

hehe jk.

Hate new cars! To much bloody wiring Had an 85 Vette last winter that I guess had Vats but I didn't have it long and I didn't play with anything I didn't have to, to nice a car! It does have a stage one chip from Jet in the Ecm so maybe thats how? Guess I won't worry about it!
I will agree that the buzzer is an annoyance! Hate the things, yet another reason I don't like new cars. Most likely I will pull it along with the headlight dinger but I need to figure out what it is cause I gotta hook some stuff up that when I do it buzzes! I suppose it could be for the keys, the door switches aren't hooked up yet but I thought that was dinger anyway?
Thanks for your help, the vats being gone takes a load off! [/B]
Yeah, I bet the chip has the VATS disabled. As for the buzzer thing, i dunno, but I've never heard a dinger in a 3rd gen. It's always a buzzer. Personally, I go for the chimes...they're the only ones that don't make me want to scream.